Sudden realisation that I have no idea what I'm doing!!

disneydarling

Mama to a baby girl
Reaction score
Well, I was just packing mine and baby's hospital bags, when it suddenly hit me that I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to babies!!!

I opened a pack of nappies for the very first time and was just staring at them like 'Oh my god, how do you even put one on a baby?!?'

I am a first time mum (obviously) and haven't spent much time around newborns or babies at all, I'm really awkward around other people's children so I avoid them, haha!

So excited for my baby girl to arrive, and I want to be the very best mama to her, but now I'm worrying about how clueless I am!! Any other first time mums that are feeling the same? I hope I'm not alone in this!

Don't worry I feel the same.

I've never even held a newborn - youngest baby I have held was about 6mo!!

My midwife came to my house for my week 28 appointment and she showed me how to put a nappy on a teddy! :haha:

I feel the same way! I went to a child care class and I've been trying to read about basic baby care, but I feel like it's not sinking in. It probably won't sink in until I'm actually doing it. And I'll probably make some mistakes, but I'm just going to have to allow myself that. Just remember, in a couple of months we're going to be old pros - changing diapers and breastfeeding like champs! Good luck to you!

I felt the same way when they were inducing me at 33 weeks, and even more when they were wheeling me in for my C-section. Then when my son was in the NICU, I thought, I know nothing about babies, let ALONE about preemies!!! Now he is home, has been since Monday...and we are surviving.

You will figure it out, it isn't hard. They sleep a lot at first, it's just the feeding and diapering you will have to do.

I was the same, I didn't like kids and had spent MAYBE 2 minutes holding a newborn before my LO came along.

Everyone told me it would just come naturally but I was never even remotely maternal and I seriously doubted that it would... but it did! To be honest it took a few days and I made my OH change all the diapers at the hospital because I was scared I'd do it wrong. And our first night at home I was like "Really? I'm just supposed to know what to do?" but you don't have any choice but to figure it out. :haha:

Your mama instincts will kick in and you'll be just fine!

I feel the same, think it is perfectly normal :) the only experience I have of newborns is from when my cousins (triplets) were born but they are 12 now so it was quite a while ago! I'm pretty sure we will all get the hang of it :)

I'm feeling the same way right now! I am going to be a first time mom to a baby girl as well was the youngest in my family so I have no baby experience.I have been reading books and watching youtube videos trying to learn but i know its all about hands on experience.One book I am really enjoying in What to expect: The first years!

You must have been super busy doing other stuff throughout your pregnancy! I don't work, so my entire pregnancy has consisted of me looking up all things baby. I prefer to watch YouTube instruction videos on how to care for a newborn, breastfeeding advice and first aid/CPR.

Trust me, it will all come to you. I had never changed a nappy before when I had my DD. in fact, I actually put her first nappy on back the front in hospital! :blush: DH had never held a baby before! It comes naturally. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->