Sudden reduction in milk supply help.

lauraemily17

Mummy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Hi ladies. Just looking for some wisdom from experienced breastfeeders.

My milk supply has suddenly & very noticeably dropped in the past 2 days & I'm wondering why.

I've had a cold for a week now, could that be the cause? I've also been having what feels like ovulation pains. AF came back at 6 weeks pp last time so it could well be possible I'm ovulating around now if the same happens again. Could this also be the cause?

Does anyone have any experience on this & know how long it will last & when (if at all) my supply will increase again? If it is hormonal should I expect it to happen every month?

I'm working really hard to build the supply back up, eating porridge, lactation cookies, more water & isotonic drinks & nursing as much as possible.

I'm noticeably not as full any more & R often gets really frustrated quite quickly into a feed.

It's similar to a growth spurt where he's feeding that often I never get a chance to fill up fully but he's not feeding as often as that. He's also already had the 7 - 10dsy & 2 - 3 week growth spurt so it seems a bit soon to have another now.

I've no experience of AF during bf, but I think having a cold or any illness can make it dip a bit. You are doing all the right things already though!

Maybe try verbs to help boost it... Debuggers and blessed thistle are what I take to boost my supply. HTH

Your breasts not feeling full anymore doesn't mean your supply has dropped. Could just be that your supply has regulated so you will no longer get engorged. Babies can become frustrated during feeding for different reasons. If your supply has settled it may be that your baby gets frustrated when the flow of your milk gets slower even though there's plenty there for him. Keep persisting because as long as you are EBF your body should produce what your LO needs. You can try massaging and squeezing the breasts slightly when your LO gets fussy to give him a faster flow of milk and remind him it is still there - he just has to work for it! If he keeps sucking even if there is not enough now he will bring your supply up to what it needs to be!

Thanks for the advice ladies.

My supply seems to be up again. Fuller feeling breasts which he feeds from for longer without getting frustrated.

Literati - I already do breast compression, I have a lazy boy who just wants the fast flow of milk & needs convincing to keep feeding past this!

Ovulation can decrease your supply but it should return to normal after a day or two! The same can also happen when you get your period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->