Sugar overdose in School

checker

Reaction score
Hi,
even though this doesn't concern a child that's mine, I'm a bit concerned by the way it work's in my step son's school. They seem to be fed a LOT of sweet stuff, such as sugary desserts in the middle of the week, candy, pastries, you name it.

I can't remember being served anything besides food when I went to school, and as our strict family rule was "sweets on weekends ONLY", I'm sure my mother would've never allowed it.

I find this disrespectful by the school - stuffing children with sugar is never good. Also, my stepson has holes in almost every tooth. (Not the school's fault, but it's probably not helping...)

My stepson also says that ALL the other children bring desserts from home, drink sweet drinks at lunch (juice, pop etc). I mean, what's wrong with people? Am I really that unique, thinking sugar is something you should be really careful with, especially when it comes to children and their new teeth?

Like I said, it's not my child so I should probably not care so much about it, but I do. I AM worried that my stepson's teetch are rottening and that he probably thinks I'm annoying and stupid who won't give him nutella for breakfast, when even his teachers give him stuff like that for lunch...

Is this normal? How does it work in the school's of your children?

The only snacks our kids get in school is fruit or carrots, and milk. They are only given water for drinks with their lunches.
Occasionally if there is a child whose birthday it is, they are allowed to bring a bag of sweets to distribute one per classmate at the end of the day, but that's it for treats.
Other than that, they have a party at the end of term before Christmas, and before the Summer holidays, where they eat crisps and buns and stuff, but that's only twice a year.

As for school dinners, they have a four week rotational menu. Every day they have a choice between :

hot meal
hot meal vegetarian
pasta / jacket potato (alternating between the two)
grab a bag (sandwiches, fruit, biscuit/flapjack)

or they can bring in their own packed lunch.

For the hot meals/vegetarian hot meals, and desserts, this is one week's menu (so you get an idea). They also serve vegetables with every hot meal, it just doesn't say it on the menu.

Monday:
Fish Fingers (3) with chips
Or
(V) Macaroni Cheese
Treacle Sponge & Custard

Tuesday
All Day Breakfast – Bacon, Sausage, Scrambled Egg, Hash Brown, Bread
Or
(V) Quiche
Arctic Roll

Wednesday
Sunday Dinner – Chicken Fillet with Stuffing & New Potatoes
Or
(V) Vegetarian Burger
Chocolate Sponge & Chocolate Sauce

Thursday
Homemade Minced Meat Pie with Creamed Potatoes
Or
(V) Vegetarian Sausage
Rice Pudding & Jam

Friday
Turkey Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce with Pasta & Crusty Bread
Or
(V) Vegetarian Bolognaise & Crusty Bread
Jelly & Ice Cream

At the school I work at, if the kids are good ALL week (teachers do keep track!) they get a penny sweet on Friday afternoon! Other than that, they have school dinners like above (all the desserts are low sugar/sweetened naturally with fruit juice and honey), and treats for birthdays. Plain water only to drink during the day (squash, milk or juice is allowed at lunch) and snack must be fruit or a cereal bar.

I'd look at the school's website or brochure to see what their policy is- your stepson might be exaggerating because he's annoyed that you won't give him Nutella and he thinks everyone else is allowed it?

My SD rarely got treats at school in her younger years- but yes, many parents sent their kids to school with loads of sweet treats. And I KNOW in high school, many teachers bring donuts or treats as fun stuff for the kids- even that, personally, I do no like. We just teach our children to eat that stuff in moderation- I do think a little now and then is fine, but everyone needs to limit that for their kids (as to what they feel is appropriate). For my LO, we are enrolling her in day care twice a week (1/2 days) this summer- and one of my first questions was "what do you feed them?" and we were offered a meal plan that was set daily. There was fruit, veggies and main meals each day- but not "sweet treats". I think it depends on the school and funding though- although really, healthy meals don't have to be more costly if done right.

It would be tough honestly, if my LO was told No- but other kids around her were given treats or candy etc... but at the day care, they don't allow outside food, unless there is a nutrional need based on allergies. I guess, after looking at three different day cares, I would not think it normal to give a bunch of sweets out to young kids. But maybe grade/middle schools are different? I don't remember it being that way with my SD's schools though... although yes, there were times treats were brought in, it certainly was not daily or even weekly.

If I had concerns- I'd for sure be calling the school to find out the guidelines and what they serve for meals. Can't hurt to check it out? ;)

My daughter goes to a Catholic school because the public schools are not so good academically here, but I will say that as far as nutrition goes the public schools seem to have a leg up in my opinion. The lunches provided have very little nutritional value most days and there generally aren't any other options than the one main meal, no salads, no vegetarian options, etc. So I pack DD her lunch. But it seems like at least once a week she comes home super hyper from all the sugar she gets due to parties for so and so's birthday (they all seem to bring in cupcakes, cookies, candy, soda, juice, etc.) and her class seems to have a party at least once a month for a holiday, "Catholic schools week", "Dinosaur day", etc. all of which for some reason mean that the kids are fed more and more junk. I've been super close to saying something to her teacher before about not letting her eat so much junk and sugar in particular because it really seems to change DD and not only is she hyper but her whole attitude seems to do a 360 but I don't want her to be singled out as the one kid whose mother won't let her participate in these things. *sigh*

We send all of Hannah's lunches in (they don't prepare food at the schools here at all) so I know what she's getting which is nice. Sometimes a parent will bring in pizza/cake on their child's birthday which I don't particularly have an issue with but it'd be nice if I was forewarned so I didn't go through the trouble of packing a lunch the night before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->