Suggestions to Improve BnB

Buffaloed

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been asked to take a more active role in managing your forum rather than only working on tech support. The goal is to attract more traffic. I've been managing HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League for almost 20 years. It has been the most heavily trafficked forum for Evolve Media despite being devoted to a niche sport. I'll try to bring the principles I use there to your forum. One of those principles is to listen to the people that use the forum. I want feedback.

We're trying to attract new members. So you have to look at the forum when you're logged out and try to put yourself in the place of someone who's not familiar with it. It's not the easiest thing to do because forum members think everything revolves around them.

This is what stands out to me:
Too many ads - we need to provide an ad free option

The slide slow on top of the homepage should be eliminated. It looks awful on mobile and wastes half the space above the fold. A navbar with Momtastic links could replace it.

Use responsive design and move New Posts to the top for mobile users so they can dive right into the content without having to go through layers of subforums. I use this on my forum.

There's too much fragmentation caused by overly specific subforums. At one time when the forum was booming you had members suggesting we need a forum for this, we need a forum for that, and before you knew it you had forums for everything. That results in many lightly trafficked subforums and new members need a GPS app to navigate. The site looks inactive and it's difficult to use. I need your help to develop a strategy to close, hide from guests, or merge little trafficked subforums. We need to be really specific. I know some of those forums are important to some members. You're not going to lose them.

I want to start promoting BnB on the "male lifestyle" forums. I know there is a lot discussion on those forums about kids and who's wife/gf is expecting. There's not much to do staying at home during a pandemic. I expect a baby boom. lol

I also think we should have more moderators, members who use the site regularly and want to be involved in how it moves forward. You had a core group that led the way and those people are gone now. Poor @Bevziibubble all alone risking her life every day to protect you from the spammers. If you're interested in being a moderator post here or message Bev. This is still the best pregnancy, baby and parenting community on the internet.

PS. I will get search fixed!

I much preferred the old forum layout - not sure if that is an option now :( I'm not a huge fan of this style (especially as I use my phone).

Is there any way the Advanced Search "button" could be moved one to the left side? I am so used to the Watched Threads button to be in that place and I keep clicking the wrong one now. But also, I think Watched Threads and New Posts make more sense grouped together?

I much preferred the old forum layout - not sure if that is an option now :( I'm not a huge fan of this style (especially as I use my phone).
I'm planning on granting moderators and longtime members permission to switch styles. Those styles are generally ad-free too. :)
eg BnB vB Style
bnb_vb.jpeg

Is there any way the Advanced Search "button" could be moved one to the left side? I am so used to the Watched Threads button to be in that place and I keep clicking the wrong one now. But also, I think Watched Threads and New Posts make more sense grouped together?
It's only temporary. That link will disappear as soon I can re-index the search engine.

I enabled multiquote so you can reply to more than one post at a time.

Your search engine is being indexed now. It will probably take 24 hrs to complete. An admin from my forum @SniperHF will also be helping out to organize the layout.
I submitted a design for your default style that does not include the slideshow.

Search is done indexing. It's much faster on these servers.

I am interested in becoming a moderator!

I've been around a while Bev a fab mod xxx

I like the old style too and no adds.

Just to say I love bnb and the girls I've met. I follow a few on fb and really feel like our li have brown up together. Keep up.the good work. Xxx

If you have 1000+ posts you can change styles. The style changer is on the bottom left. There should be 4 other styles available.

xf default
BnB dev
vb fixed
vb fluid

I think the ad and slide show where always a deterrent too. i loved the old style. in a message board people look for a good way of access without having to change setting or circumnavigate ads or pop ups. I dont know how else to change after all i know lots of message board have gone down in use sibce fb and whatsapp and other social media,but its still much better than sone if those very popular like mumsnet etc.

I'm working on changing your search to use threadloom. It's a significant improvement. It has image search which I know is important here and can also search momtastic which I know isn't important to most of you. lol

Ohhh when is the grotto opening up guys xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->