Supermarket Baby food question

hippobaby

Reaction score
So this week we started solids, now I plan to make as much food I can myself however I'm realistic and there will be times I will use the premade stuff from supermarkets. So because im fussy I want the best brands so looking at the organix, plum and ellas kitchen stuff they all claim to have nothing added, no sugar, salt, additives etc all 100% organic fruit/veg- so how they keep thir shelf life? Feeling a bit thick so advice would help...

Tia

Organix/hipp are my favourites (and jaydens too) I use them with them being organic, i'm abit picky lol, i'm staying away from the hipp ones which contain yeast extract though! (slightly paranoid about the confusion with yeast extract and MSG) sorry i won't ramble lol.
Shelf life is good too, the ones i have in are mid 2012, but for the dinner/meal ones use in 24 hours, some of the dessert style is 2-3 days xx

Thanks , that's what I don't understand tho, how
can that last so long if there's no preservatives etc, seems odd to me. I've been wondering which is best home made food that's been frozen or the shop stuff...it's sooo confusing

I think things like rice & cereal last a long time because they are in powder form (so dried), not sure about jars etc I haven't used any yet.

My LO was also born on 18 Aug!

Aww how nice, my EDD was the 22nd but i was induced on the 16th! I think its the way they are stored, i think they are heated to extremely hot temperatures, then sealed in sterlile jars, i read something somewhere as i did wonder! I would still say fresh food frozen would probably better but theres nothing wrong with the jarred stuff, just research into which ones, look at ingredients etc xxx

Jars/sachets of baby food in the supermarkets have a long shelf life, normally about 2 years, because they have been heated to a high temperature to kill off any bacteria that may be present. Unfortunately this also kills off/damages some of the nutrients in the food, making them less nutritious than if you made the same thing at home x

Thanks , that's what I don't understand tho, how
can that last so long if there's no preservatives etc, seems odd to me. I've been wondering which is best home made food that's been frozen or the shop stuff...it's sooo confusing

I would say homemade frozen is better x

Jars/sachets of baby food in the supermarkets have a long shelf life, normally about 2 years, because they have been heated to a high temperature to kill off any bacteria that may be present. Unfortunately this also kills off/damages some of the nutrients in the food, making them less nutritious than if you made the same thing at home x

This is exactly right... The temp is so high when they pasteurise it kills not only bacteria but the nutrients... Steaming is alot more gentle on nutrients and blending ( if u need to) shouldnt cause any damage to nutrients...

Obv we hav to b realistic... U could try freezin batches of baby food to save time.. If that jus so happens to run out.. The heated organic jarred food is much better than one with preservatives... Xx

I love the HIPP apple and cranberry one, i could eat a jar myself! And organix baby cereal, apple flavoured (though isn't very apple'y)

Aww how nice, my EDD was the 22nd but i was induced on the 16th! I think its the way they are stored, i think they are heated to extremely hot temperatures, then sealed in sterlile jars, i read something somewhere as i did wonder! I would still say fresh food frozen would probably better but theres nothing wrong with the jarred stuff, just research into which ones, look at ingredients etc xxx

Ooh my EDD was also the 22nd but went into labour early, was hoping to be late to avoid early school year but she obviously had other ideas...

Thanks for the replies, if needed for convenience I'll use my frozen stuff and keep the bought stuff for when I'm not so organised....LO's getting baby rice with pear this eve...yum

Oh just thought of something else I've been wondering - how on earth do they get the meat to purée, it just wrong to get meat so sloppy and runny?

I love the HIPP apple and cranberry one, i could eat a jar myself! And organix baby cereal, apple flavoured (though isn't very apple'y)

I used to...:blush:
My son was a jar baby and the most lovely desert was a huge jar (I reckon a stage 2 or 3) of pancakes in apple sauce, it was a HIPP one.
OH IT WAS LUSH!
He hated it but I bought it...for me...once...or twice..... :haha:
And the apple and pear puree first time I tasted it took me back to childhood :flower:
I use the odd sachet of ellas kitchen when we are out and about and occasionally at home as a quick warm meal - will mix it with some pasta for lumps.

Hi

I had the same idea however my little one eats very little of my home made savory meals she just does not like them. We buy her Ellas kitchen, Plum, Organix and Boots own brand which she especialy loves.

Its worth stocking up no on the Ellas kitchen (75p in asda) and Organix (50p for the new ranges) both are selling like hot cakes so i would suggest that you get a range of things while you can and get your little one to try and and if she likes them and there still cheap stock up while you can.

Sometimes i also buy jars where i know i am makings something and can suppliment it for example boots do a nice steak and veg risotto (stage 1) meal so i will do this for harriet when we are having something like a spicy curry and add fresh rice and maybe some extra veg.

Organix new range of stage one pouches in fact have been used on some stage 2 recipies on there web site :)

I have also been known to mix some of the heinz powdered stage 1 meals (sunday chicken dinner and add chicken and veg to this for Harriet which again she loves.

Enjoy the journey your both on :)

Loopy & Harriet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"