Supply/Demand

vitabrevis

Reaction score
For the past two days my supply hasnt been matching LO's demand. I'm starting to get really frustrated since I can't have a bottle ready for him when I go to the store anymore. A week ago I was able to pump 5ozs each breast per sitting now I am only able to do about 2-3ozs and it just isn't cutting how much he eats anymore. I know I should stick in there but I go back to work soon and I don't even any stored so OH can feed him during that period... I guess I'm just getting really disheartened about the entire breastfeeding thing now...

How old is your LO? 2-3oz per session is actually on the higher end of normal. I'm assuming your LO is fairly young and your supply is just regulating. I was able to pump a LOT before my supply regulated and it settled down after that.

I went back to school while my LO was still EBF and I never had more than what was needed for the next day. I would pump at school, when I got home, and in the morning before I left the next day. I always managed to get just what I needed.

It's doable. It's not easy, but eventually it'll just become a part of your daily routine. I didn't really even think about it after a while.

I can only pump about 2-3oz at a time and my LO takes about 4-5oz in a bottle now. It just means I have to make sure I have two lots of milk in the freezer for my DH to feed him if I go out.

It is no reflection on your supply, it's just that baby is much more effective at getting the milk out than a pump.

He's almost 5 weeks. While I pump about 4ozs he eats about 5-6ozs and its just getting hard because while he's finishing up what I originally pump I have to pump more and many times I worry that he isnt getting enough.

Are you putting him to the breast? This is your best way of upping your supply. 2-3oz is normal per pumping session as your boobs are designed to feed and not be pumped so will respond better to your baby than to the pump. If you're exclusively pumping then you need to dramatically increase your pumping sessions. You need to pump 2-3 hourly both day and night. Increase your oral fluid inrake, cut out caffeine completely and increase your intake of oats and cereals. Mother's milk tea and fenugreek may also help your supply.

Week 5 is a prime growth spurt time though so your baby would feed feed feed if put to the breast and demand your supply to increase but this doesn't happen when pumping unless you're power pumping.

When having EBM my almost 4 month old only takes 3-4oz max. Are you sure your baby wouldn't be satisfied with nearer 4oz?

If you're solely pumping rather than breastfeeding then I can give some advice.

Pumping very regularly can help increase your supply and to do so every 2-3 hours, not skipping out on night-time ones. Make sure that you continue to pump for a few minutes even after you've stopped producing any.

I had a similar worry about the same time with DS that I wasn't going to keep up with him, but keeping that strict pumping schedule really did increase my supply. I'm so far ahead of him now that I'm running out of storage space :)

I've tried only giving him 4ozs but he screams and cries. I make sure that his diaper is clean that he is warm and even try a pacifier. He doesn't stop until I give him more food.

Try the more milk drops...it is very concentrated fenugreek. It works much better than the tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->