Supposed to be taking iron

mcwhmm

Reaction score
I was told about a month ago that my iron was very low even despite taking my prenatal vitamin. My dr told me to start taking 325mg of iron at night and my prenatal in the morning, or vice versa. I did this and took it with a meal as he said. Every single night I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up. One night I even spent 2 hours in the bathroom and was on the floor with a cold rag on my head and all. Once I stopped taking it, I stopped getting sick. I told my doctor at my last appointment (Friday) that I stopped taking it because it made me sick and he said it was important to take them and said that maybe when I get over my cold it could be better..

I've been dreading taking it again and putting it off...

Does anybody have any suggestions? Or have a similar experience?

You could try eating more foods that are high in iron. Like meats, sunflower seeds, whole grains, dark chocolate, etc.

I asked him about that and he said that I need the supplement since my iron was so low..

Have you tried liquid iron? It's expensive but much easier on the stomach.

Hmm.. I didn't even know there was such a thing!

I also have low iron and have been feeling a lot better since taking iron supplements.

I take mine in the morning with orange juice to aid absorption. Maybe you could switch up the time you take yours to the morning? Maybe that will help with your digestion. Otherwise switching to a different brand/ type of iron supplements might help.

I hope you feel better!

Thanks! Forgot to mention, I have tried with orange juice. I'm actually scared to take them in the morning and then be sick at work! I may try this though. I need to figure out something that works :/

I know that drinking milk with them is bad, but I drink a lot of milk so I think there's probably always milk in my system lol.. Maybe that's why I get sick too?

He has you on too high of a dosage. My doc has me on Ferralet, which is 90mg of iron (and it also has B12 and folic acid). The directions tell me to take it an hour before or 2-3 hours after a meal.

Forgot to say - I take my iron in the morning. I took the first dose at night, and I had worse insomnia than usual.

I second taking them with citrus! I'm a blood donor and the bank I go through gives us that advice :thumbup:

I also read somewhere not to take them along side your regular prenatal. Something about the calcium potentially blocking the absorption of the extra iron (which is also why you shouldn't take it with milk.)

There are different types of iron pills (ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, and ferrous fumarate.) I believe the first one is more common but is the hardest on your stomach. Generally, if I don't eat enough while taking it, I get dizzy and bad nausea.

Drinking or eating anything with calcium (including milk) will stop the iron being absorbed.

You could try taking it on a morning when you don't have to work. That way if you feel like throwing up you'll be at home! Nothing worse than throwing up at work :(

I think someone mentioned taking liquid iron. There is a brand called Floradix which is a liquid iron supplement. It's supposed to be more gentle on the digestive system. Might be worth giving that a try as well.

Good luck!!

Definitely try a liquid iron supplement, I cannot tolerate any kind of iron tablet they always make me throw up but I recently started using something called Spatone which is like a shot of liquid that has iron and vitamin c in it. Not sure if they sell it in the US but ask your doctor about a liquid one, they tend to be more bio-available as well so your body absorbs it better.

I had the same with iron pills I just can't tolerate them. I now take liquid iron in a glass of fresh orange juice. It's called spatone. I have 2 a day and no problems since :)

Are they prescribed tablets or ones that you just pick up in the store? If they're store bought ones, which brand are they, if you don't mind my asking. The source of the iron could play a big role in making you so sick. That's usually what makes people sick from their prenatals. I'd suggest trying a high quality tablet and see how that works out for you. If you know where a local health foods store is go in there and ask what their return policy is. If they're real good vitamins, they will be returnable if opened. I know the floradix is as a pp mentioned for the liquid one.

They are store bought, but they are the ones my doctor recommended to be "best" I'm not positive on the brand, but they were fairly expensive. (I'm at work right now). I will try to see if I can find some other options!

Does the liquid one have a taste? Or you just mix it in with orange juice and then can't taste it?

Also, I'm assuming all these mentioned are safe while pregnant obviously right? Lol

Yes safe when pregnant. I literally mix them with a mouthful of orange juice and can't taste it at all. Can get them prescribed or from any chemist or online I'm uk based

Yes floradix is safe while pregnant

I also recommend liquid iron supplements! I bought mine off Amazon after the prescribed pills weren't doing much (and made me nauseous). Generally they say to take 2 hours before or after a meal that contains calcium. So I usually drink mine and have it with a fruit containing vit C. The one I have doesn't taste bad at all, just a bit of a metallic aftertaste that goes away quickly.

I'm taking a food-sourced iron supplement that I got from a natural foods store. If you have a Whole Foods near they would have it and they usually have a person in that section to help you. I don't tolerate vitamins at all (nausea) and have had no problems with these. Since taking them I have been warmer (was so cold all pregnancy!) and less tired so I know it's helping.

Im on iron pills due to my gastric bypass. Had to take foltrate and hated it. Found one at cvs that has been perfect. Cvs store brand Slow FE. Only 45mg, so I take a few a day. They absorb atca slower rate, small pill and dont make me sick. Cvs often has buy one, get one free sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->