Supposed to be taking iron

I had a similar experience. My iron levels started to rise so I stopped taking them, they just made me feel so ill!

They took my iron again a few weeks ago and it was rock bottom so I've had to start on them again as apparently it could cause complications after birth but I've left it a little late to start taking them for it to make too much difference (I'm 40 weeks now) I'd definitely try alternatives as you've got enough time to try and raise your levels. Maybe go into the pharmacy and see what alternatives they suggest?

My iron levels are slightly low (10.3) so I take 2 sachets of liquid iron (Spatone) with fresh orange juice before I go to sleep. They don't make me sick :)

Did they elaborate on what complications could arise?

That's a really high dosage...mine was a bit low and I was told to take 100-200mg ferrous fumerate. I went with the lower dosage because they said to watch how much I take at once because it could cause constipation. I tried taking the 2 pills (each 100mg) and got quickly constipated. I can imagine 325mg overloading your system a bit if you're not already crazy low. I don't know your levels, but maybe see if there's a way to take a lower dosage to still get your iron? Your body can only process so much of it at one time.

Different forms of iron give different levels of elemental iron, so you should check which type you're on. A supplement that contains 325 mg of ferrous sulfate, the most commonly used iron supplement, will give you about 60 mg of elemental iron. Others use ferrous gluconate, 300 mg of which yields about 34 mg of elemental iron, or ferrous fumarate, which contains about 106 mg of elemental iron in a 325 mg tablet.

Maybe you could have three lower-dose pills a day? That would decrease the likelihood of vomiting, and probably improve absorption. I remember I was on three small pills a day and had no side effects (apart from feeling A LOT better!).

Serious iron deficiency is associated with preterm delivery, and an increased risk of stillbirth and neonatal anemia, so it's really important to keep taking the supplements.

I wish I could call my doctor and discuss this with him, but he is on vacation and doesn't return until NEXT Friday. I suppose I will just try to stomach taking these ones that I have until I can talk with him. I don't really want to go out and buy a million different kinds without any assistance.

Also, while I'm thinking about it too, I mislead you ladies on what I AM actually taking. These ones that I have are the Nature Made brand and they are actually listed at 65mg and then it says it is the equivalent to 325mg of ferrous sulfate.

How much iron is in your prenatal vitamin? An overload of iron can make you sick, as pps have already said.

my prenatal vitamin has 28mg of iron

It could be the source of the iron in the Nature Made brand. I highly suggest getting a bottle of the Garden of Life Raw Iron and seeing if you can stomach that one. Usually you can get it at a health foods store, but be sure to ask about the return policy. If they won't take an opened bottle back if it makes you sick, don't buy it. I've had very few returns for Garden of Life and New Chapter in regards to the iron. Just a suggestion.

I took my iron tonight for the first time in almost 2 weeks at about 730ish and so far I feel fine! I'm out of milk at the moment (along with a lot of other things but too exhausted to go to the store! Lol) so I haven't had any milk since this morning around 7am. I'm wondering if the reason that I always got sick was due to the milk intake at night. I'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow.

I don't know what I would do without you ladies!:)

In terms of complications it was if I lost blood at the birth Etc. I could have to stay in hospital longer. She said the baby will always take what they need first so try not to worry about that but I didn't realise how important it was!

If you like to drink milk at night, maybe switch the iron to the mornings?

I told my doctor today that I was experiencing nausea and constipation from my prescription iron pill, and he said I could take it every other day instead of every day.

Yeah I've been told I can take my pill every other day too, but I was only borderline amemic x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->