supraventricular tachycardia

sedgeez

Mummy to my rainbow
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else had supraventricular tachycardia.

Last time I was pregnant I had it and the doctor diagnosed it.

It stopped about a month after miscarrying, but it started again about a week ago.

I basically feel like my heart is vibrating in my chest, and I feel like I've gone over a hill, or on a roller coaster. You know that feeling you get. It happens every now and again but mainly when I'm trying to relax.

The doctor said she had it while pregnant too and recognised the symptoms straight away.

I've not made an appointment to see the doctor yet as I want to wait until I'm at least 6 weeks. So ill mention it then.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had this or has it now.

It drives me nuts! :wacko:

Did you actually have your SVT confirmed with an ECG or heart monitor? Or was the doctor guessing? SVT is rarely under 180bpm & is a tachycardia that originates from above (supra) the ventricles, meaning an atrial tachycardia.

Palpitations (awareness of heartbeat) are a very common thing for all people. It can be completely normal, or sometimes they can be due to fast or abnormal rhythms.

SVT can usually be left untreated as long as it is not bothersome (no blackouts). If the symptoms appear, then you can do something what is called a valsalva manoeuvre. It is basically like holding your breath & bearing down (like you're doing a poo) at the same time.

Medication is best avoided in pregnancy. If symptoms persist after pregnancy, then you can be prescribed beta blockers to regulate and/or slow down the heart rate or a procedure called a cardio version can be performed. It is where an electric current is passed through the heart to 'shock' it into a correct rhythm. Also a similar procedure called an ablation can be used.

Hope this info has helped. I'm a Cardiographer working in Leeds.

Thank you for that info.

I was planned to have it monitored but I miscarried the week before and was in and out of hospital for 2 weeks, so I never went.

I'm hoping that it will just be heart palpitations, but I used to get those with anxiety attacks and they feel different to this.

I'll be seeing a different doctor when I go, so I'll see what she comes up with, and I'll presume they'll monitor it.

Thanks for the information and advice :flower:

I hope you get sorted x

With my 1st I used to get a lot of palpitations, especially when I was hot at work. I used to do my own ECG & although it was fast around 170bpm, it was a normal rhythm. I used to feel like my heart was going to jump out of my chest!!

It's such an unpleasant experience. It mainly happened when I'm relaxing or lay down.

It's really annoying.

I'd rather it be just something simple, so I'm hoping it's just palpitations.

SVT sound so scary!

I was diagnosed many years ago with svt and I also have PVC's and palpations. The dr told me its harmless unless you're having terrible symptoms. I took beta blockers during one of my pregnancys it was so hard to get off of them. I would recommend trying not to get on one. When I have had episodes I go to the ER and they give me a beta blocker through an IV . I will say when I'm pregnant it gets worse especially at night when Lying down. I'm sorry you are having to go through this :( I think hormones play a big role . Try not to stress . I think it makes it worse. Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->