Surgery in third trimester

LuvallmyH

The 1 whom many call Mom
Reaction score
Anyone have surgery in the third trimester?
I have tennis elbow & have had 2 rounds of cortisone shots. It’s not helping anymore & I’ve been told surgery is the only way it will heal. I have a call in to both my ob & orthopedic dr. I can’t tolerate it anymore. I can’t even lift a coffee cup or brush my hair. It can be done with a local block and not general anesthesia. If I can get them to approve it I think I need to do it. Everyone says wait until after the baby is born, but how the heck am I supposed to care for a newborn (plus 9 other kids!) while I can’t use my right arm at all?! Seems to me, since I need to slow down anyway now this would be a good time. I also have extra help for summer.

It should be fine with a block - the big concern would be pain management after - but I'd be surprised if the orthopedist is willing to do it since pregnancy affects all the tendons and joints and he/she would probably want to wait until several weeks after the birth.

That's the rational I've been getting from my podiatrist waiting to deal with my bunions, but there's a big difference between what the elbow has to endure versus the feet.

I hope they're able to help you. :hugs: I've only ever had minor issues with my elbow and even those could leave me in tears.

I had surgery during my second trimester, really different given it was essential for my babies survival. Your doctors won't do it if it's not safe, I'd just trust their advice :hugs: sounds awful xx

I would do it now if I were you also. I imagine the recovery will be much easier without a newborn or small baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->