Surgical Stockings after C-Section

sw121

Mum of 1
Reaction score
My baby is breech at the moment so I might have to have a CS. My MW mentioned the other day that I would have to wear surgical stockings for 6 weeks after the surgery to prevent DVT. This sounds like a really long time and the doctor at the hospital never even mentioned it.

If you've had (or are scheduled) a CS, how long did you have to wear stockings for? Does it vary depending on your weight? I have a raised BMI.

I had to wear them last time for about 8 or 9 days after my section. Once your up and about more or less normally you dont have to wear them anymore.

I never wore stockings with my first cs? not even on the day.And nobody has mentioned them to me for this time round either.

I had a c-section last year and was advised to continue wearing them for a week after the section.

I put them on about 9am monday morning when we arrived at the hospital then took them off by 9pm as I went in for a shower. Put them back on the next morning (after midwife telling me to do so!) and got a spare set to take home with me when we got out of hospital on the wednesday.

I had a stubborn breech too! Hope baby turns!:flower:

i had them on for the whole time i was in hospital 5 days and cant remember exactly when i took them off, i took them off when i had my first shower 3 days after section and my legs swelled up bad so i kept them on after that . . .i cant remember exactly but i remember having them on at least a week after he was born . . i didnt have them on christmas day when we went to visit him which was only 11 days after and my legs were fine . . . .

sorry not much use, i would ask at your next appointment but at the same time if she says two weeks and after two weeks they still swell then obviously keep them on .. . it might just be that "Research has shown . .. . " that if you keep them on for that amount of time it reduces the risk even if it is only a minimal risk . .

i only ever wore them througout the operaton and until i was able to get up and walk!

6 weeks!!!

Well, it sounds like 6 weeks is a bit much then! She definately said 6 weeks though (I thought I could have misheard 6 days) because she said it would be a pain having to wear them throughout summer.

I'm at the hospital on Weds for my ECV, so if they confirm the CS I'll ask them.

i just wore them for the op, but i was up and walking about after 10 hours so i didn't need them, no one mentioned about wearing them at home. a friend who refused to get out of bed and was in hospital for 5 days, wore them for about 2 weeks after, but again she didn't get up at all and had really bad varicous veins. i think if you're active, you don't really need them.

i just wore them for the op, but i was up and walking about after 10 hours so i didn't need them, no one mentioned about wearing them at home. a friend who refused to get out of bed and was in hospital for 5 days, wore them for about 2 weeks after, but again she didn't get up at all and had really bad varicous veins. i think if you're active, you don't really need them.

I want to be going home asap, so the sooner I can get out of bed the better!!

It's important to wear them if the doc tells you too - it's to keep your blood moving to stop you getting potentially fatal blood clots. DH had surgery recently (so not a c-section :haha: ) and had to wear them for a couple of weeks at least. He also had to self-administer blood-thinning injections for four weeks, although I don't know if this is done with c-sections.

ETA he had a broken ankle, though, so was pretty immobile.

They never gave me the stockings at all not even during operation, but i did have to administer the blood thinning injections for a week post surgery :)

I had a breech too! :flower: I only wore mine in hospital which was 3 days, then took them off when i got home, midwife didn't seem concerned.

6 weeks does seem a little long to wear them, there not the most comfortable of things to wear! :haha:

Oh & i also had to have the injections i think for a week after the birth...they sting!:growlmad:

Hope they turn baba :thumbup:

i wore them in my both children for about 4 weeks

Went for ECV today, but the consultant didn't even try to turn baby once he had a feel - it's too big and it's bum is too low in my pelvis so he said there was no way it would turn.

I asked about the stockings whilst I was there, as I'll certainly be having CS now, and they confirmed that they recommend wearing stockings for 6 weeks. The MW said you can get away with less if you're back to your normal mobility sooner. So, doesn't look like I'll be baring my legs for the first part of the summer - I just hope it won't be too hot!

I wore mine for about a week after my section, and also had blood thinning injections for a week after as well (although I got dp to do them as im a wimp lol) x

I wore mine for about a week after my section, and also had blood thinning injections for a week after as well (although I got dp to do them as im a wimp lol) x

Yeah, I've been told I'll have to inject the blood thinning stuff as well - hopefully I'll be ok with that. I have GD, so I've been launching needles into my fingers several times a day for the past few months now.

You're better to wear them for the 6 weeks after the birth. I had a section with my first - wore them for 6 weeks only taking them off to bathe or shower or wash them. Had them after my 4 spinal surgeries too.

They are essential as trust me, it's just not worth risking a blood clot. They can be deadly. xx

I have to inject daily throughout this pregnancy as i'm high risk for a blood clot (family history). been injecting daily since i was 12 weeks!

will have to do them for a few weeks after the delivery too.

the anti DVT stockings are a precautionary thing, but very worth it. Blood clots can kill.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->