• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sweeps and induction info please!

doggylover

Mum of 4
Reaction score
:hi:

So I am 4 days overdue, which isn't so awful, apart from the irritant of people checking on me twenty times a day in case I had the baby and kept it quiet :haha: I'm not uncomfortable or anything, just impatient!

I'm due for my first sweep tomorrow, and wanted to know from some experienced mommas (or medical professionals!) what exactly this entails. I know they literally sweep a finger round the cervix, but is that it? Does it last long because it sounds super uncomfortable :wacko:

Then, assuming that doesn't work (I've read the stats :cry:) I am due for induction next week (10th). I've heard recently that they start your induction at night? Whereas I thought it would be in the morning? Or is that going to be different everywhere? And what exactly do they do?

Sorry for long post and lots of Q! Any info much appreciated :flower:

Hey, yes the sweep is like a vaginal examination where the mw will attempt to insert and sweep a finger around your cervix to separate the membranes and to help stimulate the prostaglandins. The induction will be started at different times dependent on the trust and amount of people being induced :) usually start with a pessary/type of gel and if this works then move on to breaking your waters then if you are dilating successfully then you can carry on naturally. They will monitor you on the ctg following both the pessary and the breaking of your waters for approx 30mins to check that baby is happy and providing they get a good trace you will be taken off the monitor. If you don't respond to the pessary/gel they may repeat a second time and then if still nothing you may start on syntocinon intravenously. They will increase it as necessary and this should put you into labour! Most women find the contractions have no build up and are quite intense right from the onset with synto.

If you are on synto then you will be on a continuous ctg throughout. Hth xx

Never had a sweep, but I was induced 9 days after my due date with my first baby. For me, I was admitted to hospital at 7 pm. Had IV with pitocin. Started having contractions by 7:30 pm, and started dilating slowly. I had my baby at 7:31 pm the following day, so 24 hrs for me. I think it depends on your state at time of induction. Some women are slightly dilated already ( just not in labor) and they can be admitted in the morning because they are predicted to progress better?? I had nothing going on, and they knew it would be a long process near 24 hrs. If I would've been admitted at 7 am, I would've been at the worst and hardest point of labor and having to push in the wee hours of the morning, in which you would be SO tired. I was tired enough as it was, but was able to get some rest in the evening because contractions weren't severe those first 5-6 hrs... Good luck.

Thank you ladies :flower: much appreciated!

If only LO would make their own way out so I didn't have to worry about all these things!

Yeah. Hopefully your baby decides to come... You still have many days until induction, anything can happen overnight!

I had one the night I gave birth. It's not super uncomfortable...something like a very uncomfortable pap smear maybe. Not anything to worry about. Good luck.

I just saw my OB on Monday. I am 4cm 50% effaced and babe is at a +1 station. He didn't do a sweep, just scheduled me for an induction Thursday AM. This is babe #4, my labors have been under 4 hours, and I am 2 hours from the Hospital. So he wasn't keen to sweep me, have it kick start labor at 3am, and run the risk of not getting there in time. I have never been induced before, but my OB said once we start I should be done in no time since my body is ready. I am nervous, excited, scared and every other emotion you can think of, LOL. But honestly, having a time and date is a massive relief to me and my Family right now. As long as I don't go into spont. labor in the next 24 hours, LOL.

Ameliasmum sounds like you are all ready to pop! Best of luck!

Thanks ladies.

Hii,

I had a sweep today, she checked me and I was 2cm and she could feel babies head.. so she did a sweap and Im now home waiting it out Im going back Monday for another go if nothing happends, x

Thanks to all.

I had it this morning and unfortunately I am 0cm dilated. She managed to open up the cervix and do a sweep anyway, but its unlikely that anything will come of it. The dr did say she had never had a sweep fail...so I'll be such a disappointment!

Hope somthing stats moving for you... have you had a bleed? I did still have now and had bits of jelly type blood too? x

Oh that sounds like you are getting somewhere then! :dance:

Nope, nothing at all for me. The dr said to expect some bleeding as well as my show and perhaps some plug but..........nothing.

Fx Gotta go back Monday if Nothing.. Fx for you to hun, will keep you updated x :flower:

Thanks to all.

I had it this morning and unfortunately I am 0cm dilated. She managed to open up the cervix and do a sweep anyway, but its unlikely that anything will come of it. The dr did say she had never had a sweep fail...so I'll be such a disappointment!

Will keep my fingers crossed that things start to happen for you.

Did the sweep hurt at all if you don't mind me asking?

Ask away!

It wasnt painful (I had popped 2 paracetamol beforehand just in case, but it was about 2 hours afterwards so I'm not sure if they were being fully effective!) it was uncomfortable though. It lasted less than a minute, and afterwards I had very mild discomfort for about ten minutes.

The dr said I was pretty relaxed throughout it which is why it wasnt sore. She said if people are tense then it's more likely to actually hurt.

Also, my dr today was LOVELY so I think she was nice and gentle, I imagine some drs are a lot more rough!

Ask away!

It wasnt painful (I had popped 2 paracetamol beforehand just in case, but it was about 2 hours afterwards so I'm not sure if they were being fully effective!) it was uncomfortable though. It lasted less than a minute, and afterwards I had very mild discomfort for about ten minutes.

The dr said I was pretty relaxed throughout it which is why it wasnt sore. She said if people are tense then it's more likely to actually hurt.

Also, my dr today was LOVELY so I think she was nice and gentle, I imagine some drs are a lot more rough!

Thank you :flower:

Examinations and sweeps etc scare me as I find it hard to relax. I always find smear tests really uncomfortable because I tense up.

Think I need to find a way to relax somehow!

Hope you start to feel something soon. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->