Swine Flu Jab...

premmiemum123

Reaction score
...has anyone's baby had it. Have been advised that Emily will need to have this but am worried as the injection has not been fully tested and pushed onto the market very quickly.

Have any of your babies had it? Or do you have anyone that has had it? Is it ok?

I guess it is better to take the risk and get the injection rather than get swine flu...

I'm waiting until, if there is any, further research is done on it and until more information is given and then Harry will be getting it. I just hope they give out more information on it sooner rather than later.

I'm waiting until, if there is any, further research is done on it and until more information is given and then Harry will be getting it. I just hope they give out more information on it sooner rather than later.

Thank you. Those are my thoughts, however my OH is pushing for me to get this done as he is concerned. I think I will speak to my doctor about it, people in the medical profession can be quite honest if you push them. When we were in the NICU ward one of the doctors said that Swine flu and its risks was no worse than normal flu and that the media had blown the whole thing out of proportion. Plus the governments have panicked. Not sure what to believe half the time...

I know, the thing that scares me most is that the people who have died from Swine Flu, all had underlying problems, you can never be too careful with preemies can you. I'm giving Harry multi-vitamins until I know more information, I'm taking Harry to the Doctor's today anyway so I may ask about it whilst there. If they tell me anything I don't know, I'll let you know. x

Archie, me and OH are getting it on Sat xx

Thanks Dona, are you and OH getting your jabs for free or are you paying for them, I guess if Emily will have one, it makes sense for us to have one also...they are about £4 I think per jab...

By the way, loving your signature, Archie looks so cute...where can you get that type of signature from? xx

I'm not long back from the Dr's with Harry.

She told me what I knew about the jab already so that was a bit meh but she did say she'd advise any parent with a baby, especially a preemie, to get the jab as the positives of it far outweight the negatives and she said that a baby like Harry, preemie with lung problems would benefit greatly from the jab. She was all for it, in other words and she said if I had any problems with it to come straight to her. So I think I'm gonna go ahead with it now, just gonna try and grab his dad to have a chat tonight to see what he thinks.

Thanks Dona, are you and OH getting your jabs for free or are you paying for them, I guess if Emily will have one, it makes sense for us to have one also...they are about £4 I think per jab...

By the way, loving your signature, Archie looks so cute...where can you get that type of signature from? xx
You can get a sig like that by asking someone to make you one in the blinkie and graphic request section! Love it Dona! I dont think Im gonna get Molly the jab. She doesnt mix with that many people so IMO the risk of the jab outweighs the risk of her catching it.

Kyle and Lakai both got it...and now Im sick and think I may have H1N1!!! So Im getting it if I dont! I was scared too about getting it. But figured if Lakai did get H1N1 and something happened to him...and I could have prevented it? I couldnt live with that compared to the "maybes" of the vaccine. Plus they have been using in Australia for their winter (which has passed down) and they have shown no ill side effects.

Go into Blinkies, Graphic & Requests. xxxjacquixxx did this for me, she is still taking orders. xx

Dunno if we will be paying for them, will find out on Sat and let you know xx

My GP surgery have just phoned me to offer me the flu and swine flu jab (I had a VSD operation at 8 months old, similar to a PDA but affects the main aorta of the heart as opposed to outside the heart) so they said I could have a free one...I enquired about Emily and they said she can have one at 26 weeks, so have to wait three weeks...at least I will have mine and will see the effects before she has hers...I heard today that a pregnant woman of 18 weeks had her done and all she feels is icky and fluey...but other than that she is ok...
Think I might be worrying about nothing...thanks for all your replies, you are all such wonderful lovely ladies...x

Swine Flu jabs are rationed so I'd say they would only be available on the nhs and high riskers will get them free if they are offered.

CazzyG posted an interesting point about the jabs a while back. From memory it was that the actual carrier vaccination they use is the same as the flu jab, it is only the H1N1 part of it that is different so there is no real risk.

I won't be having one and neither will Abby. I have never in my life had flu. I tend not to pick up colds etc either. Neither does Mr Foo. Abby isn't out and about very often so I don't think any of us are at particular risk. In almost 7 months, Abby hasn't so much as had a sniffle. As the jabs are in short supply, others will benefit more.

Swine Flu jabs are rationed so I'd say they would only be available on the nhs and high riskers will get them free if they are offered.

CazzyG posted an interesting point about the jabs a while back. From memory it was that the actual carrier vaccination they use is the same as the flu jab, it is only the H1N1 part of it that is different so there is no real risk.

I won't be having one and neither will Abby. I have never in my life had flu. I tend not to pick up colds etc either. Neither does Mr Foo. Abby isn't out and about very often so I don't think any of us are at particular risk. In almost 7 months, Abby hasn't so much as had a sniffle. As the jabs are in short supply, others will benefit more.

Wow are you serious, no colds? Emily and I have had 4 in the space of 10 weeks, we don't go out that much but we have so many children in the family who visit I swear that is the source of them all. I should ban them from visiting until the summer.
It is strange that i have been told that Emily only needs the swine flu jab when my friends premmie now has bronchilitis and there is no jab for that. She was told her baby would get it because he was in SCBU...and that they usually get it at 3-6 months - Nov - March. Am now paranoid about that...have just got over my SIDS paranoia...now am worrying about this...oh joy!

Wow are you serious, no colds? Emily and I have had 4 in the space of 10 weeks, we don't go out that much but we have so many children in the family who visit I swear that is the source of them all. I should ban them from visiting until the summer.
It is strange that i have been told that Emily only needs the swine flu jab when my friends premmie now has bronchilitis and there is no jab for that. She was told her baby would get it because he was in SCBU...and that they usually get it at 3-6 months - Nov - March. Am now paranoid about that...have just got over my SIDS paranoia...now am worrying about this...oh joy!
Not a one. But we also don't have heaps of visitors (I sound like fooey nae mates!:winkwink:) and I'm totally anal about stopping folk who are ill coming here. But I did go to my mums for a week when she had a cold but Abby never picked it up.

There will always be something to worry about!

I got my jag today (through work tho - social care) so far no timescale for babies here. Im not sure now if I want Matthew to get it now as my arm is KILLING me and would hate to think of him in pain! But one day with a sore arm versus the potential risk of catching the virus???? x

I believe it was announced today that all children from 6 months to 5 years are to be offered the jab.

I just don't know if I'm gonna.

The swine flu vaccine has been developed the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine is developed every year. It has also undergone the same amount of testing. As it's effectively the same vaccine every year, but with a different flu strain, it does not need to go through the same amount of clinical trials as a brand new vaccine. A lot of the articles in the media are scaremongering and pretty inaccurate.

I had mine this morning - I'm asthmatic and have had pretty bad flu in the past ending up with me catching pneumonia so I do my best to make sure I'm protected now. I'm still breastfeeding so hopefully Charlotte will get some protection through that. But she will get the vaccination when she's called for it. Little ones are at risk of things like febrile convulsions and one of the key characteristics of swine flu is the sudden onset of a high temperature. I understand that it's a difficult decision for many but for me it's been a no brainer.

I think we've become a bit complacent here because after an initial flurry, things seem to have died down. But IIRC from microbiology lectures at uni, it's usually the second wave where the majority of cases are seen and this is yet to hit. It's expected during the normal flu season which hasn't really hit here yet.

Thats Archie got his now. Will let you know how he gets on, oh and babies get another one in 4 weeks time as its only half a dose they get each time. xx

The swine flu vaccine has been developed the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine is developed every year. It has also undergone the same amount of testing. As it's effectively the same vaccine every year, but with a different flu strain, it does not need to go through the same amount of clinical trials as a brand new vaccine. A lot of the articles in the media are scaremongering and pretty inaccurate.

I had mine this morning - I'm asthmatic and have had pretty bad flu in the past ending up with me catching pneumonia so I do my best to make sure I'm protected now. I'm still breastfeeding so hopefully Charlotte will get some protection through that. But she will get the vaccination when she's called for it. Little ones are at risk of things like febrile convulsions and one of the key characteristics of swine flu is the sudden onset of a high temperature. I understand that it's a difficult decision for many but for me it's been a no brainer.

I think we've become a bit complacent here because after an initial flurry, things seem to have died down. But IIRC from microbiology lectures at uni, it's usually the second wave where the majority of cases are seen and this is yet to hit. It's expected during the normal flu season which hasn't really hit here yet.

Cheers - I knew you knew something interesting about it and was hoping you'd clarify!

I'm still on the fence. I'm just not sure she needs it, but as you say the complications of flu can be brutal. Hmmmm.

Dona, How's Archie now? I feel reassured somehow that its only a half dose now and in 4 weeks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->