Switching from BF to FF

Laeyla

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching from BF to FF and looking for some advice on how exactly to go about it. I hardly ever pump...so he's hardly had any bottles but when he has he's taken to them fairly well.
He will be 5 months next week. I've read a lot of different ways on how to go about it, but am still curious to hear some more input.
At this age I've read I can introduce the cup as well....should I try to switch to formula using only the cup? Or is that a bad idea? Can I alternate between bottles/cup?
Should I replace one feed/day with formula for a couple days to transition into the change?
I've also started him on cereal recently and I usually breastfeed him right before I give him the cereal. Once the switch to formula is made should I still give him formula before/after a meal? I also mix his cereal with formula so I think he will tolerate the change well just wondering how to approach it. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm still BF but do use formula sometimes too. My LO couldn't really use a cup at that age. I would try bottles first or a cup with a really soft spout if bottles don't work. Mine has only really got to grips with cups at 8 months.

If you have been BF for 5 months then the best thing to do is to make the transition slowly. One feed per week. This gives you the best chance of avoiding mastitis and is a gentle transition for LO too. I would start with the mid morning feed, then an afternoon feed the next week, a night feed the week after that. and then leave first thing in the morning and bedtime till last. You can go faster than that if needs be but do be careful about avoiding mastitis.

Im in the middle of giving up BFing. Ive been giving formula at bedtime for months so thats taken care of. The next one to go was the mid morning feed. After about a week i introduced formula at the mid afternoon feed so im just left with the night feed and the morning feed at the moment. I will probably start giving bottles in the night next week and gradually ease off the morning feed over the next couple of weeks. My BBs have been fine so far and not engorged at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->