• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Switching from breast to bottle

Kirsty3051

Wife & mum of 3!
Reaction score
Has anybody done it and regretted it later on?

I have a healthy and happy baby, but I'm not enjoying breastfeeding. Breastfeeding was something I was really looking forward to when pregnant but now it's reality, I'm not enjoying it. We're thinking of switching to formula. I'm worried about switching and then regretting it in a few days/weeks/months. At the moment, I don't feel like I'm bonding with him properly because I'm too busy worrying about his next feed. I've discussed it with my husband pretty much all day and he's happy for us to go out and buy formula but the conversation keeps coming back to "breast is best".

Any personal experience or advice? :shrug:

I never breastfed, not even in the hospital, and I have zero regrets. I just wanted to say that she has turned out happy and healthy even being 100% formula fed, and I was a very happy mommy not to have a baby glued to my breast for those first couple of months. We still bonded during feeds, and I got to see hubby and others bond with her during meal time too early on. (my favorite picture still is of hubby giving her first bottle right after birth... the look on his face is priceless)

Honestly, each baby is different, and there is nothing wrong with formula. If you're not enjoying it, then formula might be better so you're happy too. Mom's happiness is important as well! Or if you really want to keep at it, maybe supplement so you have both experiences?

Good luck. :flower:

How offen does your baby feed at the moment?

I'm very pro formula but I'm not sure if switching will make things easier for you. At your baby's age my formula fed baby was feeding every 2-3 hrs night and day so I still had to plan around feeds ... And then still wash the bottles etc.

Not trying to sway you away just trying to say these problems might still be there if you switch.

We're waking him to feed every 2 hours throughout the day and every 2-3 hours at night. He was born early and that was the advice we were given. There's only been 1 day so far where he's wanted to feed constantly

I think honestly you should wait at least after 6-8 weeks to make this decision. I'm not sure how much longer you'll need to wake to feed but it will get much better once you don't need to do that anynore.

Imagine still needing to give a bottle every 2-3 hours I think at that stage it was about 10 bottles a day.

It sounds like you'll regret switching to me.

I know how you feel. With DS1 I put a question on here about switching to formula as bf was so difficult for me at the beginning, but in the end I did persevere and fed him for nearly 10 months. The first 8 weeks were difficult, I'll admit but after that it was a breeze. Like you I was constantly worried about this feeds, how long, which side, and also had to wake him. If he is putting on weight fine now I think you should try to relax a little and not be so consumed by timings etc. I know thats easier said than done as I was in the same position as you and it took me a few weeks to stop writing everything down!!

On the flip side once we did start to introduce a bottle when DS1 was about 8 months, for a overnight feed so I could get some sleep) I cried buckets but I know it gave OH time with his son and I got some sleep and eventually I liked the fact he wasn't totally reliant upon me.

Even now bf DS2 I still don't get the whole 'better' bonding thing and it can be frustrating at time (he is 'biting/gumming very hard' me atm!).When I eventually stopped with DS1 (as I was going back to work) I was heartbroken and still remember that last feed but still felt like the bottle was a release of sorts.

Sorry this post isn't going to help. Maybe see how you go for a bit longer if you really want to bf as it does get easier but equally don't worry about moving over to formula. He''l be loved and cuddled just as much however he gets his milk

It helped a lot. Thank you :flower:

I'm still breastfeeding and actually enjoying it a little now. Tonight was going to be the night that we let him sleep a longer period but I'm not ready. I'm worried about him not waking and going hungry until morning. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->