Switching from oral temping to vaginal

Paula08049

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I think I'm going to switch to vaginal temping instead of oral. This is only my second month charting and I'm just wondering if I should wait until my next cycle or if it would be ok to switch mid cycle. Any thoughts would be great!

I honestly don't know what is acceptable as far as this goes, but I will say that I switched to v temping this month, mid cycle, and it has worked MUCH better for me, and has caused no issues on my chart. I figured out that I was breathing through my mouth at night, so when I would temp in the morning it would be way off unless I took again right after (my mouth had warmed up again).

Vaginally is the way to go! :thumbup:

I am not sure it would matter as long as you're consistent with what you choose to do, its not so much the temps, rather the patterns that the temps form, ie a surge at the pt of ovulation, and remaining above the baseline post ov beyond your LP duration.

Thank you ladies. I'm going to switch in the morning. I'm thinking I might be sleeping with my mouth open sometimes. My temps seem to be all over the place to me:shrug: even though I set my alarm and take it the same time everyday, but then again this is only the second month I've tried to temp. Fingers crossed for :bfp: for all of us!!!

I'd wait till nxt month as you'll get higher temps which could confuse you and your temping app!

I switched to vaginal temping this cycle as well. So far, though, my temperatures are still very erratic. They look like jagged mountains instead of smooth slopes. I thought temping vaginally was supposed to make the temperatures more stable. :shrug: Then again, I have terribly unpredictable cycles. So who knows?

Anyway, the only thing I suggest is waiting until the start of your next cycle to switch. Because vaginal temperatures are higher than oral temperatures, it could throw off the interpretation, and make it seem like you ovulated when you really haven't.

Thank you ladies. I'm going to switch in the morning. I'm thinking I might be sleeping with my mouth open sometimes. My temps seem to be all over the place to me:shrug: even though I set my alarm and take it the same time everyday, but then again this is only the second month I've tried to temp. Fingers crossed for :bfp: for all of us!!!

This is my first month temping, so I hear ya. I wasn't sure what the switch would do, but it worked for me most definitely. I think as long as you don't make the switch too close to O day, and AFTER you switch start recording your cm, FF should pick it up just fine. I switched about a week or so ago, and it showed my temp drop just fine yesterday, and a temp increase today which should be the start of confirming O for yesterday :) I say give it a shot for a couple days and see what it does for you. If it doesn't seem right, you can always switch back.

I switched to vaginal temping this cycle as well. So far, though, my temperatures are still very erratic. They look like jagged mountains instead of smooth slopes. I thought temping vaginally was supposed to make the temperatures more stable. :shrug: Then again, I have terribly unpredictable cycles. So who knows?

Anyway, the only thing I suggest is waiting until the start of your next cycle to switch. Because vaginal temperatures are higher than oral temperatures, it could throw off the interpretation, and make it seem like you ovulated when you really haven't.

You have a lot fo open circles on your chart. That may have something to do with erratic temps. Do you know why FF put them there?

You have a lot fo open circles on your chart. That may have something to do with erratic temps. Do you know why FF put them there?

It's because I don't take my temperature at the same time every day. It's impossible for me to sleep throughout the night. I've always been a crappy sleeper. Also, the time I wake up depends on what day it is. Sometimes I work, other times I get to sleep in, and other times I have to go to school super early.

It's because I don't take my temperature at the same time every day. It's impossible for me to sleep throughout the night. I've always been a crappy sleeper. Also, the time I wake up depends on what day it is. Sometimes I work, other times I get to sleep in, and other times I have to go to school super early.
Hi, I just found this and I know it's old but for any one that reads it, I am talking to a fertility guru and she has told.me that despite being told to take temp as soon as you wake up, you need to take it sometime between 3am and 5 am set with an alarm clock. This ensures you should've had 3 hours sleep and if you do it at wake up time your body has already been stirring, getting ready to wake up And doesn't work for those that have different waking times. It sounds like a hassle but i literally set a quiet alarm, chuck it in , wait for the beep and go back to sleep. Then add the time in to f.f once I've woken up. You can set the time it Was taken on f.f too.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I don't think it matters much whether you do it orally or vaginally, rather than whatever method you use should be consistent. I've been temping in my mouth for 18 months, with no problems (other than when I go through periods of insomnia which can be frustrating!).

I hope you find a method that works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"