Switching obgyn so late?

Periwinkle58

Reaction score
I'm 28 weeks now and have been seeing a midwife since the very beginning. Haven't even met the doctor but I'd rather deliver with a midwife anyway. I really like the office, the midwife and have nothing but good things to say but I have two problems. 1) I've decided to have an all natural water birth (if all goes well) and she's against it. And 2) she doesn't deliver at the only hospital near me that uses a tub.

I don't know what to do... I'm already 28 weeks and feel bad for switching but I must if I want to deliver at that hospital. Plus I don't know how to even find a midwife that's okay delivering in water. Anyone know how I'd go about finding one? Ugh I wish I didn't have this problem so late in. I'm kinda thinking about just going to my midwife the whole time and then delivering with whoever is at that hospital the day I go into labor. Is that a dumb move?

Thanks!

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your plan to have a water birth. It's unfortunate that you're only finding out now that it won't be a possibility with your midwife. You need to do what's best for you and if that means switching, go for it.

You could possiblly call around to other midwife clinics and see if they'll accept you and your birth plan. Otherwise, there's no harm in going to an OB. As long as everyone is on board with your plan, it's all good.

Huh, it seems unusual for a midwife to be against a water birth. It seems a very common option in the UK, I've been heavily encouraged depending on my strepB results. They very much push for natural births here, they aren't keen on epidurals etc.

I'd say if you are very set on the water birth, then def see if you can find a midwife/hospital that will accept you. It's your birth and you should be able to at least have the option of what you want (I've always thought with water births you just have to hope no-one else is using the pools when you need it!). I'm sure your current midwife would understand, or at least should do!

I would start searching midwives and birthing centers in your area and call to ask about water births. It's better to switch now then regret the delivery you have with a doctor you're not happy with.

Agreed do not feel bad. I vote switch. I agree calling and asking is good. I woke maybe call the hospital you said dues water births and ask them if they have a list of recommended midwives who have done water births there or even just recommended ones period. Anytime somebody says no always ask if they know someone who does.

As for switching just for delivery, I personally would rather not. I think you would prefer someone you know and have spent time with.

Gl!

Agreed do not feel bad. I vote switch. I agree calling and asking is good. I woke maybe call the hospital you said dues water births and ask them if they have a list of recommended midwives who have done water births there or even just recommended ones period. Anytime somebody says no always ask if they know someone who does.

As for switching just for delivery, I personally would rather not. I think you would prefer someone you know and have spent time with.

Gl!

Thanks everyone, I'm definitely gonna look into switching... and calling the hospital and asking for a recommendation is a great idea. Im gonna do that later today 💕

With my son I switched Dr's around 29 weeks because me and the first doctor just could not get along. He was just mean and had poor bedside manner. I ended up with a doctor that I really enjoyed and trusted even though she was only with for the final two months, it was worth it. Your insurance company should be able to help you find a provider that offers what you are looking for.

Awesome idea to call the hospital...they know best who is good to work with and who is not! Hopefully you get someone who isn't afraid to be very honest!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->