Swolen kidneys :(

HotChocolate

2nd Trimester
Reaction score
I had my 20 week scan today and i found it really sore when the nurse was pressing on my tummy during the ultrasound.. It felt really tender and i kept on flinching :( when i told the nurse she said "well it's not normal for it to hurt, no other woman has ever complained.. Tell your midwife" ..I felt like bursting into tears because she was really abrupt from the minute i walked in. Anyway, now i'm a bit concerned? Also, my kidney's are slightly swolen but she said that's quite common in pregnancy.. Has anybody else experienced this before?

Really worried and i don't see my midwife until friday, i'm going to give my doctor a call tomorrow but i could really do with some advise from anybody who has some! xx

Hi

Swollen kidneys shouldn't be an immediate problem, so do not worry :hugs:

What is your fluid intake like, at the moment? How much are you drinking and what are you drinking?

QT

Cordial, flavoured water/water in general and tea. I've recently had a water infection but it was a very very small amount of blood that was found in my urine so it wasn't really that bad. Could that be anything to do with it though?
It was because my tummy was tender when she was touching it that worried me as well, because my friend touched me near my belly button yesterday and it was very tender. Is this normal? x

Cordial, flavoured water/water in general and tea. I've recently had a water infection but it was a very very small amount of blood that was found in my urine so it wasn't really that bad. Could that be anything to do with it though?
It was because my tummy was tender when she was touching it that worried me as well, because my friend touched me near my belly button yesterday and it was very tender. Is this normal? x

Hi

How much liquids are you drinking a day? Roughly? You areound 2 litres?

What you are drinking sounds fine - you are avoiding acidic drinks (like fruit juices). You MIGHT want to stick to mainly water/tea (and avoid anything sugary etc) for a while - just incase it inflames your kidneys...

Yes, often a "water infection" (i.e. bladder infection) can "back track" up your tubes and to the kidneys (the kidneys feed the waste water to your bladder - so bad bladder infections CAN go the other way). HOWEVER kidney infections are GENERALLY felt in the back and maybe sides (so about belly button height, but at the back) and not at the front. But whether pregnancy effects where you feel it, I don't know.

Have you spoken to anyone about the blood in the urine? Have you had any treatment for it? That should ALWAYS be checked out (whether pregnant or not) as it is generally the sign of a very bad water infection.

Whereabouts was she pressing when it hurt? Is the tenderness all below the tummy button? If so, that is probably the bladder.

If I was you, I would call the doctor tomorrow (and try to get checked out before you see the MW). I don't think it is anything to be frightened of, but it could become a lot more painful (I had a very bad kidney infection once - it was agony without being touched :cry: ). You probably need a course of anti-biotics to clear it up...

QT

hello sweety. Depends on how hard they press too. I had a really painful 12 week as the sonographer pushed so hard. I felt bruised for a couple of days afterwards.

Hope all is well - go to the docs and get checked for peace of mind. Xxx

Yes i'm drinking around 2 litres a day, mostly lime cordial though (obviously with water!), could that be the problem?
I've only just finished my course of antibiotics, on saturday and they were for my water infection. The nurse who i saw about it said that there was only a very small amount of blood in my urine and that it wasn't anything to really worry about.

When the nurse was pushing against where my baby's head is (on the left, level with my belly button), that's when i flinched and was in the most pain but she didn't seem to think it was anything serious otherwise she'd of wanted to investigate further, i assume?

I think i'm going to get in touch with my doctor tomorrow though.. Probably ask him to take a urine sample because i'm concerned that the water infection hasn't cleared yet :(

Thank you so much for your help! xxx

I am guessing that lime cordial is pretty acidic (most citrus things are). I don't think that it would "cause" any problem, but if your bladder/kidneys are infected or "tender", then it may further irritate it.... if you see what I mean. Worth cutting it out for a little while and seeing if it has any effect.

As I said, I honestly don't think it is anything serious (as in a serious risk to your's or baby's health), but sounds like you do need it to be checked out. Another urine sample would be prudent: quite often a singular course of antibiotics will not clear up an infection altogether and you may well need another one to "knock it on the head" :winkwink:

IF it had gotten to your kidneys, then I would expect you to feel it more at the back/side. At the front, it is probably still bladder (your bladder is normally pretty low, but may get pushed up by your uterus...). Of course it might be something un-related (like ligaments stretching), but it is always best to get it checked out. The only stupid question (in my books) is an unasked one... :winkwink:

Let us know how it goes, but I hope it clears up VERY soon :hugs:

QT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back