• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taking codeine in pregnancy...different doctors different advise!

Jo1987

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just after a bit of advice, I'm 19 weeks pregnant and since I was about 9 weeks pregnant I have suffered with sciatica in my right leg. After weeks of agony I finally went to the doctor and she prescribed me 15mg codeine tablets and said I could take four tablets four times a day with paracetamol which I did when needed.

Anyway, my prescription ran out so I requested another one, and a different doctor prescribed me the same tablets (Codeine 15mg) but said I could take only two, four times a day. I did this all over the phone, so when I called this morning to check, the reception said she'd check with the doctor and call me back.
When she did call back, she said the doctor said two tablets four times a day was enough for a pregnant lady and I shouldn't take more.

So I'm panicking as the last month I've been taking four tablets in one go when I've needed it, and now I think what if I've been taking to much and I've caused some damaged. I have my 20 week scan on Monday and I am so worried that something is going to go wrong but I've took to many tablets.

Any advise guys? I am waiting on a call back from my doctor but I was a bit short with the receptionist so I doubt I hear anything for a while.

You are fine, honestly. Codeine is considered a class A drug so it is proven safe in pregnancy. I'm not sure why they told you this, but unfortunately different Drs and pharmacists have differing opinions that aren't necessarily based on current research. I was told by a pharmacist that I should under no circumstances take more that 1 regular strength tylenol (325mg) only to be told by my midwife that taking two extra strength (1000mg) if needed is fine.

There are no known risks to the baby with codeine except for the risk of neonatal withdrawal if you were taking very high doses right up to delivery date. That would be rare for a narcotic as mild as codeine especially at the dose you are prescribed and likely your Dr. will take you off the medication a few weeks before your due date just to be careful. This problem is really more seen in IV heroin/pain med users and even then only in a portion of their babies.

My obstetrician gave me 30/500 codeine/paracetamol tablets to take instead of my usual migraine tablets and anti-inflammatories, which he says aren't safe. I'm allowed two of those four times a day, so the same dose as you were originally put on (60mg codeine, 1000mg paracetamol). That's the standard dose, and my ob says that's fine for pregnancy.

As Victoria1987 says, they don't much like you to take the maximum dose consistently late on, as it can cause withdrawal in the baby, but I have been told that if I really need it, it's okay.

I do wish doctors would develop some consistency about what they will prescribe, but since they are held individually responsible if something happens, it's really down to what they were taught and their own personal thoughts on what's safe and what isn't. I really hope your pain eases soon, sciatica is awful :(

I have been taking codeine on and off all pregnancy so far. I have a mysterious pain in my left side, and when it flairs up codeine is the only thing that allows me to function half like a human.

As has previously been said, my consultant informed me they would take me off it closer to birth, she mentioned a couple of weeks, but said I could continue a smaller dose until a couple of days before if I am still in severe pain. Withdrawal is the only concern I've been made aware of.

have you tried specific streches for your sciatica? I have sciatic issues since I was 16 and I find that if I stretch properly and regularly it helps me alot. maybe it could help you to supplement with the medication and eventually get off of it if thats what you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->