Taking newborn out

kelleepudding

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanted some advice, how long should you wait to take a newborn baby out in the current temperatures? I am not talking about out to walk round in a public place but just in the car to get him registered or maybe to relatives house etc?

thanks
x

Just keep him warm hun. Dont overwrap but dont underwrap just make sure hes warm and in the car or houses they are usually warm too. If you dont over dress just take a blanket. x

As long as they're wrapped up, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to wait long at all, afterall, if you give birth in hospital you take them out after a day or so. If they're going in the car you'd need to make sure they weren't wearing a pram/snow suit in the car seat, you'd need to put blankets on top of the harness to be safe. They also don't need to go with you to be registered. My OH registered Alice on his own.

Just keep LO wrapped up cosy.

Anna was born Jan 11th, last year and we were out a lot within the first week - have never heard anyone say they had to be kept indoors for any reason:flower:

As long as they're wrapped up, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to wait long at all, afterall, if you give birth in hospital you take them out after a day or so. If they're going in the car you'd need to make sure they weren't wearing a pram/snow suit in the car seat, you'd need to put blankets on top of the harness to be safe. They also don't need to go with you to be registered. My OH registered Alice on his own.

Only if your married.

I was out within 2 days but that was June. As long as they are bundled, it's just fine. Plenty of women in arctic areas here are out in week 1! :)

Niamh was born just before all the snow hit and since we dont drive we had no choice to take her out in it, aslong as there wrapped up its fine.

My hospital transferred me to a midwife led unit within 7 hours of Erin beng born and we had to drive ourselves the 10 miles in the snow. They were more than happy to let us go. She was wrapped up and had extra blankets so very cosy. We then went for our first trip into town at 7 days - again, very cosy, wrapped up.

Thanks all, I feel much better now :) My son will be 2 weeks old when we take him to be registered (i know he doesn't have to come) and then on to my mum and dads for a while! Bit daunting as will be first time out but will be sure to pack a bag full of essentials... any tips on what to put in??

xx

- Onesie
- Sleep suit
- Blanket
- Pacifier
- Bottle
- Formula/Breast milk
- Room temp. bottle water
- Burp cloth
- Nasal aspirator
- Diapers
- Wipes
- Hand sanitizer

I can't think of anything else.

My HV said baby needs to be wearing same amount as layers as you plus a blanket as a guide, so for example our LO was 12wks around xmas she was going out in vest, the outfit (say a top and bottoms) then we would put her in a coat and hat, with a blanket on top.

In the car we wouldn't put hat or blanket on if it's a long journey as car heating is on, but make sure it's all on once she was out, but we would keep it all on fro short journeys.

Essentials wise we packed (and still do pack) nappies, wipes, nappy sacks, changing mat, burping cloth, bib, change of clothes including vest, just in case, spare blanket if you want to lay him on the floor at all, and bottles xx

Other things that come to mind, nasal drops, nappy rash cream and spare dummies, and her blankie xx

i had to go out straight away in the snow :( school run but lo wrapped up soooooo snugg i would of liked to get in with her x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->