Taking Progesterone

BellyHopeful

Reaction score
Well I got my progesterone levels back, and they are low. Thankfully my other levels were fine and I'm ovulating on my own. Now the part I'm worried about...
The nurse said they were going to put me on 100 mg Prometrium (oral), and to begin taking it on CD 14. My concern is that I don't ovulate that early EVER. I always ovulate between days 16-18. Should I really start taking the progesterone before I ovulate? I'd be more comfortable waiting until at least a positive OPK. Anyone have any experience taking Prometrium? I fear it will prevent me from ovulating if I take it that early! :shrug:

Thanks!

I know from using prog cream that if you have any prog natural or chemical, too early it can delay ovulation and even stop it :wacko: Ring your Gp and see what they say. Maybe try prog cream for one cycle and have the test done again.

Are you having the test done at the right time?? I was having it done too early and it came back too low - once i had it done at the right time it came back ok :thumbup: Day 21 is only if you have a 28 day cycle - it should be done 7 days before your period is due :thumbup:

Best of luck :hugs:

My doctor told me the same thing, start on cd14. But I don't ovulate until much later, cd19/20. I followed her direction and I fear that I did not ovulate at all this month. I'm on cd21 and never caught the LH Surge. Ugh! Did you ever figure out what you should be doing?

Youre not supposed to take it before ovulation because it will probably prevent it from happening and the after your finished it you will probably get a period.

Grrr doctors can be so stupid! :grr: I have used progesterone and progesterone cream and don't start it until my temp has shifted above the coverline for 3 days. If you don't temp I would wait for 2 days after a positive OPK (only from my experience that I ov the day after a positive...and you wouldn't want to start progesterone on ov day in case you prevent ov from happening.
I agree with lexx7 that the progesterone test needs to be done at 7dpo or the results won't make sense. I tried to explain this to my docs but he said "all women ovulate on CD14". :dohh:

Hope the progesterone helps you. Also remember to keep taking it for as many days as they say (usually between 15 and 17) and keep taking it even if you are spotting but I was always told to stop if I got full flow. When you get your BFP you need to keep taking it for all of 1st tri then wean yourself off slowly.

Good luck :dust:

Don't start it until you have confirm ovulation (after 3 days of high temps) or it will mess with ovulation. Why do doctors tell women that? Seriously, it makes me wonder what kind of school they went to. Taking progesterone BEFORE ov will cause you not to ovulate. xx

This will be my first month taking progesterone after ovulation. My dr. told me to wait a couple days after O and then take it. When I expect AF, take an HPT and if it is neg then stop the progesterone. If positive, then keep taking it. The perscription bottle says take from CD14 and for 14 days. I think it is just a standard thing they put on it.

My question is I will only be taking it for about 11-12 days. My LP is 14 days or so. Will that cause any problems if I test 12-14 dpo then stop taking it if BFN?

I wouldnt start until you are sure you ovulated so it doesnt mess it up. Alot of doctors go off of "most women ovulate cd 14) I too have low progestrone but manage to concieve before starting clomid the next cycle, and had to use prometrium until week 13, it definatly worked in helping the pregnancy maintain.

I think some doctors assume all women have the same cycles, it drives me nuts. I take prometrium (progesterone supplement) and the doctor told me to take it 48 hours AFTER I ovulate. If you take it before, it can prevent ovulation from occurring. I take it until I get my period. If I got a BFP I would keep taking it through the first trimester. So when a doc tells a woman to take it cycle day 14, that is not really individualizing for that patient.

Thanks, Ladies!! My doc even KNEW I ovulated late, hence the pills b/c it makes my luteal phase only 8 days with low progesterone levels. I'm so upset that she told me to start at cd14 knowing that. I wasted an entire month! Guess I'll be on month 13 of ttc in a few days...

Thanks, Ladies!! My doc even KNEW I ovulated late, hence the pills b/c it makes my luteal phase only 8 days with low progesterone levels. I'm so upset that she told me to start at cd14 knowing that. I wasted an entire month! Guess I'll be on month 13 of ttc in a few days...

Yeah, that is crazy. I mean, it does not matter if your luteal phase is longer if the progesterone keeps you from ovulating! I do bbt charting (sometimes my temps are hard to decipher) so I use an OPK along with it. If I am unsure of exact ovulation, I start the prometrium 3 days after I get a positive on the OPK. Good luck...I hope month 13 is your BFP!

I have another question, or two. Have any of you gained weight when you started taking the progesterone pills? I've gained about 5 pounds in 10 days!! I workout regularly, and eat okay. I'm average sized, so 5 pounds makes a difference!! And my breasts have enlarged quite a bit! But my stomach and pants are not liking the weight/water gain.

I want to stop taking the pills now, at cd24, b/c I'm going to a big wedding this weekend and don't want to be especially bloated for it. I'm pretty sure I didn't ovulate this month b/c I started taking the progesterone at cd14, but I ovulate at cd19/20 - never got my LH Surge. Do you think if I stop taking the last few pills this month it'll mess things up?

Thanks!!

Whenever I was in my TWW I would gain weight too (it's when progesterone takes over). I think it's because progesterone constipates you and causes you to bloat. You should loose it when you get AF (hopefully you don't get AF though!). If you stop taking the pills it'll probably cause you to get AF. If you're sure you're not pregnant, then you can stop taking them as it's been 10 days. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->