Taking term time holidays.

Noodlebear

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
I don't have a school aged child but my youngest siblings are still at school and many of my friends have LOs who now go. I still can't get over how outrageously strict the rules on taking children out of school are. Some would never dream of doing it, others just want to take their children on a holiday that won't cost the Earth. Aslong as parents are reasonable and aren't doing it every single term and their child isn't off sick a lot then I really think it should be at their discrection and they should be allowed to request 10 days for their children.

I don't want a debate, if you agree that children shouldn't be allowed to take absences from school then it won't affect you either way and that's fine :) Just thought I'd share this petition with those who are against it all and would like to sign it/share with others if anyone hadn't already seen it, I've only just stumbled across it! Lol.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/reverse-the-changes-to-school-term-time-family-holiday-rules

I completely agree with you.

We are actually stuck with DH's shift pattern. He gets no say/choice when his leave is. So far, from September none of his leave has fallen on the school's leave. It will in May half term (so far anyway but there is talk of transferring him to a new shift), which we are planning to go away. Price difference was around £1,000 for the week before!

I agree ... I'm pulling mine out of nursery to go but still made to feel guilty even though it's not a legal requirement. My eldest has autism and he cannot cope with other children, noise, crowds etc, he lashes out when others get close, so I cant see how we can ever go until he can learn to cope. So frustrating, especially when they are so young, different if he was sitting exams etc.

I read the petition but am having a hard time understanding it....are you guys really not allowed to take your children out of school for a family vacation?

Obviously children have school holidays and companies see that as an opportunity to charge extortionate amounts of money which can be a real problem aswell as all the issues of parents working away, having to get leave from work etc. Up until last year it was up to the headmaster to grant children extra time off from school for holidays, now you're just not allowed unless there are exceptional circumstances. There have been cases in the papers of parents being fined ridiculous amounts of money for doing so.

I have already signed :)

I'm taking Madi out of school on 7th July, just for a Haven trip with The Sun Holidays.
That's Our holiday, it's all we can afford, and they don't do them during holidays, so so be it, they can fine me all they like, she is my child.

(it's also £400 cheaper WITH the fine!!!)

It's completely insane that it's cheaper to take a term time holiday AND pay a fine! I can't believe that....

It's completely insane that it's cheaper to take a term time holiday AND pay a fine! I can't believe that....

Doesn't surprise me at all! We're going away in june for 2 weeks. It's the last time we'll ever be able to do this (Hubby starts teacher training in September so even without the kids, he wouldn't be able to take time off either!) so we're making the most of it. 2 weeks in a top caravan in Cornwall for 5 of us plus FIL and his gf, all mod cons etc, £800. Same place, caravan etc 1 month later so in school holidays - £1800!!! :wacko:

We are away for a week at a hotel next week, costing about £1000, would be at least double for school holidays. So annoying, as I said my issue is more that my ASD child can't cope with noise and crowds etc yet, annoys me that there is no flexibility in it, especially when they are happy to exclude a 3 year old at a drop of the hat but not allow him to take holiday.

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems.

I agree its ridiculous! We havent been able to afford a holiday abroad for the last 3 years because of the threat of fines and sky high prices outside term time.Its one week of the year we really enjoy and look forward to.It is ridiculous.Our school has a large amount of people whose family live in other countries and when they go AWOL for 3-6 months they never get fined as its not a holiday apparently.

I agree its ridiculous! We havent been able to afford a holiday abroad for the last 3 years because of the threat of fines and sky high prices outside term time.Its one week of the year we really enjoy and look forward to.It is ridiculous.Our school has a large amount of people whose family live in other countries and when they go AWOL for 3-6 months they never get fined as its not a holiday apparently.

Are you sure about your last comment? We have a number of families with families overseas and the rules apply to them too. If they take term time holiday, they get fined. The only exception is serious illness of a relative.

If they're not back in 4 weeks, they're taken off role. If they are away longer, they would only get the space back if there is a space in the year group on their return. Assuming your school is a Local authority school, the rules are likely to be similar.

What annoys me most is that if I decided to home school I could take my child away whenever. If I decide to send them to school then I'm stuck with the school holidays, even though they will most certainly be getting an education (or sorts) whilst on holiday.

Looking at it I think to begin with we will just pay the fine and book term time. Its cheaper and DD will probably learn far more from a week or two camping than at school. More than willing to carry on what she's learning at school, we can do phonetics of seaside words and count sea shells or whatever.

I think perhaps closer to exam years it will be better to stick to school holidays, but at primary school I'm not gonna worry that her education will be lacking as it wont be.

Are you sure about your last comment? We have a number of families with families overseas and the rules apply to them too. If they take term time holiday, they get fined. The only exception is serious illness of a relative.

If they're not back in 4 weeks, they're taken off role. If they are away longer, they would only get the space back if there is a space in the year group on their return. Assuming your school is a Local authority school, the rules are likely to be similar.

Yes I am sure,there are families I know who had 3 months off more than once and still returned to the school,even though they say its oversubscribed.

Yes I am sure,there are families I know who had 3 months off more than once and still returned to the school,even though they say its oversubscribed.

If you know it to be true and you're unhappy, ask the school for a copy of their attendance policy and complain to the Governors if you wish to. Were these examples pre Sep 2013 because the rules became much more strict at that point. Prior to that, there was more Headteacher discretion.

These cases probably were before sept yeah,time passes so quickly I cant be sure.I do know one person who just took 3 months out and someone else took a week to go to london but niether got fined.

I do agree with you regarding it being stupid however I can also see it from the governments point of view, personally I blame the holiday companies, if they lowered the prices during half term then people wouldn't feel the need to take holidays during term time, risking a fine and child welfare on their backs. It's sad really :(

Absolutely.The teachers also could take more holidays then as they dont have the option of going during termtime.

it is definitely not allowed here. maybe a day before holiday because of the flights but deffo no unexcused absenses during term

I can see why they have done it though :( i'm not sure about every school but with my DDs school, anything under 85% is a fine and they put Child Welfare on the case, if it continues then the parent can be taken to court :( its a shame really, I know we can never go on holiday as we can't afford to go during half term :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->