Taking time off work for 12 wk scan

jkbmah

Preggers with #2
Reaction score
Hi. My 12 week scan is on 16th Dec, my last day at work before xmas. We are supposed to be going out for a team lunch 12-2pm. my scan is at 2.30, so I would have to leave early and take half a days holiday.

But seeing as though I am allowed to take time off work for scans etc during pregnancy without forfeiting holidays, I would rather not use up a holiday. This does mean though that I would have to tell my boss about the pregnancy before the scan which I don't really want to do.

Should I take a holiday and then try and claim it back after xmas when I announce?

What is everyone else doing??

I doubt they will let you have it back after you've taken it. Pregnancy laws only come into effect after you've told them and that includes paid time off for appointments.

Could you tell your boss but stress you don't want other people to know until you've told them? Or go above his head to hr? My boss lets us have paid time off for all medical appointments so long as we don't take the mick so I originally just told him I had a hospital appointment but then I just told him I was pg because it was easier lol.

My team manager has told me I have to be back an hour after my appointment time on my 12 week ultrasound! This is not fair :nope: I don't want to be worrying about work it's an important day! She's never had children so I guess she has no idea and is being a jobs worth. I'll be back when I'm back :growlmad: ! Xxxx

You could always say that you have a hospital appointment and hope your boss doesn't probe too much. Or tell your boss and stress your request for his/her confidentiality. Good luck! My scan is on the 16th too!
As for the pp how's boss wants them back in an hour... You don't have to have children to know that medical appointments never run on time!! What a plonker. Not to mention travel times. My 12 week scan took a good two hours last time due to waiting times, scanning, then waiting to see the consultant to discuss my history. One hour, really!!

Could you tell your boss but explain that you want nobody to know?!

My team manager has told me I have to be back an hour after my appointment time on my 12 week ultrasound! This is not fair :nope: I don't want to be worrying about work it's an important day! She's never had children so I guess she has no idea and is being a jobs worth. I'll be back when I'm back :growlmad: ! Xxxx

I didn't leave the hospital until about 2 hours after my scan appointment time! With waiting and then waiting to see a midwife after then going for blood tests it's all time consuming! I'd tell your manager your likely to still be having your appt after an hour! X

At my booking appointment I was told by the midwife that I was allowed up to 2 hours for appointments. I work for a school body and they are great. I told them straight away due to misscarriage in the summer and I knew I would be going for early scans and that.

I would go for the lunch and leave early.

Your allowed half a day off..PAID. As far as I know thats maternity rights and such.

OP, I'd tell your manager and say don't tell anyone else yet. If the worst happened and you needed to take time off for miscarriage treatment you'd need to tell your boss anyway and it would be easier if they already knew. Just emphasise the "don't tell anyone else" bit.

I just took the holiday as I didn't want to tell anyone and didnt want to go back into work. Just what I did.

Hi Ladies.
I'm currently 8 weeks and 4 days, have my booking in appt next week at 9 weeks 4 days (due to rubbish gp system!) by my workings out i will be 12 weeks on 22nd dec...right before xmas. Unsure if i will get an appointment before xmas or after but i have booked a private scan this morning for a saturday morning. This way if my nhs one is during work hours and i dont feel ready to tell then i can just call to rearrange (hopefully) i'm already down to 2 holiday days left so am limited...lus lots of people have already booked off the build up to xmas and rule of thumb here is no more than 2 off at one time...seeing as me and my partner both work for same company this could be tricky lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->