Taking Zoloft?

Genevevex

Reaction score
Anyone else been on Zoloft for a previous pregnancy, or on it now for this one? What were your experiences with it affecting the baby, if at all?

My doctors have prescribed it to me again, as I am having a lot of anxiety issues without it, but I've never been on it DURING a pregnancy before, and it has me very worried.

I took Zoloft with my first baby in 2011 and she was a perfectly healthy baby girl .. I haven't taken it this pregnancy as I've been coping better this time around :)

:flower: I have two friends who were both on Zoloft throughout their pregnancies (substantial amounts too 250mg and 100mg). One was a set on twins, all perfectly healthy. Anxiety will do your baby a lot worse than Zoloft. I have researched this extensively, and if you were to be on any of them Zoloft is your best bet. I breastfed my first bubs while on it too :hugs:

My sister took Lexapro at a fairly high dose during her entire pregnancy and her baby is perfectly healthy. She is now 17 months and she is so smart and meeting all her milestones. Lexapro is also an SSRI like Zoloft and I think they say Zoloft has even more safety studies than Lexapro.

Very bad anxiety is not good for either baby or mom. Also moms with bad anxiety/depression during pregnancy have a much higher chance of having postpartum anxiety/depression. I think it's better to treat it now than to not treat it. And it sounds like your doctor agrees too. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you can help it :hugs:

Thanks everyone! This has made me feel a lot better about it. I will definitely take my medicine!

I didn't realize Zoloft was safe during pregnancy. I have taken it in the past and Ive been having issues with this pregnancy that are making my anxiety terrible. I am going to ask my OB about it.

That seems odd. I was prescribed Zoloft when I couldn't snap out of my most recent depression. I have severe high anxiety and depression, but have never been medicated. the psychiatrist said that Zoloft is in the category of medicines that risks to pregnancy were underterminable, so better to be on the safe side. So she didn't want me to start until I had a blood pregnancy test come back negative. And she said that once I fell pregnant I would need to be immediately weaned off of it, and that pregnancy tends to naturally improve depression for a lot of women but we would up my therapy sessions during pregnancy. She said she has seen patients/ had friends who were on Zoloft and some experienced complications identified to be caused by the medicine while others had perfectly healthy pregnancies. But she was very clear that she did not want me on it while pregnant and I agreed. I actually opted out of taking it and just upped my therapy sessions/ really focused on the coping strategies.

Sorry to go a different direction and I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would get at least two more professional opinions before starting it.

Edit to add: I do remember her saying that of the antidepressants though Zoloft is the lowest risk

I struggle with anxiety/depression as well and had a very hard time with PPD after my first baby. I was put on Effexor for the PPD and my OB said she'd rather see me on it than off of it if my depression worsens during pregnancy (though currently I am off of it, just taking a mild anti-d for sleep as I did last pregnancy). She has researched it and had many patients on it and says it's worse for the baby for you to suffer through instead of being on something. I know not the same drug but that's my Dr's opinion on antidepressants in pregnancy. She says there's really only one or two antidepressants that are completely contraindicted during pregnancy.

On that note, I started to wean off my Effexor when I found out I was pregnant. My psychiatrist wanted me off of it but I trust my baby Dr. on that issue more as she consistently deals with pregnant women (I should note that my depression and anxiety gets soooo much better during pregnancy so I don't feel I need it). I will be getting back on it after the baby is born, maybe a little before to get it in my system before the hormones start to drop and PPD starts to settle in.

I'm on 150mg as I have bpd but baby is fine. It's safe

I started taking 50mg zoloft at 6 weeks pregnant and it has made a huuuuuuge difference in my mood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->