Tandem feeding or try wean older child?

lilesMom

Reaction score
Hey
Anyone here tandem feeding?
Im second tri, currently still bf my two yr old she still feeds a lot day and night.
Im not sure I can manage her and newborn. But she does Not want to wean . I would like a break but I dont want to traumatise her
Advice please
Thanks

I meant to ask as well , how is tandem feeding realistically I know its possible.
But ill hve c section too
Is it doable without dying myself thanks

I tandem fed when my son was born and my DD was 3 almost 4. It actually went really well and I think it helped her to bond with the new baby without feeling left out. If your milk dries up during pregnancy your daughter may well wean by herself before then.

Thanks hon.
Its dipping a little now at nearly 14 weeks. But makes her want.more boob not less I think ill just keep going and see how we get on.
If she self weaned id be happy enough.
But if she doesnt least I know tandem is doable
Thanks xx

As you have mentioned, boob gives her more than milk and your desire not to 'traumatise' her shows that the concern is more over love, bonding, time with you to herself, closeness, cuddles, etc. than nutrition. So whether you decide to wean or not, the key is to ensure you keep the love. What else can you do that allows for cuddles and one-on-one? Story time, massage, bath together, tickles?
There's also a level at which boob time is calm down and reboot time and you may see a pattern in when she is more likely to want it e.g coming home after a busy day doing new or tiring things, or when overwhelmed by people, noise or places. At those times it may be impossible to stop her wanting boob, but it may be possible to limit the amount of time she is on for.
Most attempts to replace boob with drinks, food, cuddles, stories etc. will have a cross over period where it's boob AND story, or boob AND hair stroking but during that period the comfort gets associated with the new activity as well as the boob making removing the boob less traumatic as a replacement activity exists.
Gentle weaning usually consists of 5 stages:
1) identify and establish other ways to show LOVE
2) anticipate real hunger and thirst and supply drinks and snacks ahead of time
3) offer alternatives to boob
4) delay giving boob e.g "Hang on 5mins while I finish..." or "Lets wait till we are home"
5) limit time on boob "OK but just a few minutes as we need to get to the library before it closes" etc.

Thanks noon child.
Thats a really helpful.post
My milk has decreased a lot this week, im finding that she.is getting more used to cuddling me without boob now and its getting easier for her to understand boob later, not a def no. Which is a word she hates
She is feeding a good deal less.
Even.if she stayed feeding a few times id be fine with that, she was just feeding nearly more than a new born which was killing me .
Thanks

Milk is nearly gone
Just as she is sick
Bad timing .
But nothing I can do doh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member