Taping your babies' ears down

mBLACK

Mother to one & WTT!
Reaction score
I had to make a thread about this because I'm so confused. This happened to my uncle, his mother taped his ears down when he was a baby so they wouldn't stick out when he grew older. Is this mean? I know I will love my son if he's born with 3 eyes and two mouths or if his ears are so big he can fly with them, but in reality, other kids won't. If he's born with large ears and gets teased about them well.. It kills me to think of my son ever being teased or feeling lonely, and this will affect him for the rest of his life.
Not sure where to post this so I posted it in both the third tri and pregnancy club. Also, if I do tape his ears down how will I explain to him that he is perfect as he is when I changed something about him? But I heard one of my best friends getting teased about her ears and I can't bear the thought of kids being so mean to him. They would call her dumbo ears as a nickname, and tell her she should fly away with her huge ears. Lets face facts; kids can be MEAN. What do you girls think?

Honestly I would never even consider it an option. My sons ears are.... we'll just say generous in size, just like his daddy lol, but I looove them just the way they are. Besides kids can be cruel, they will find something to tease anyone about, and if its not their ears it will be something else.

I've never heard of this. I don't think I'd do it though. Kids are mean, and they will always find something to tease someone about. Too short, too tall, too skinny, too fat, too dark, too light, red hair, blonde hair, big nose, small nose, big ears, little ears, glasses...it'll probably happen anyway, as sick as that is.

I wouldn't do it.

it doesnt seem right like i think it is cruel... just my opinion.... But they are right that they will always find some reason to bug...

It didn't really seem right to me either but I asked my uncle if he thought that it was mean of his mother to do that and he said no he was greatful for it, probably made life alot easier.. damnit it's all so confusing.:hissy:

My mum was on about this the other day and i thought she was joking lol

She said if my LO has big ears then put a hat on for the first few days lol to keep them in :rofl:
Im not fussed though lol

Oh my do people even still do that kind of thing?

does it even work?? my sons ears are small but stick out due to the shape of them so im not sure how taping them down would of changed this.....

I wouldnt consider doing this at all.....XX

does it even work?? my sons ears are small but stick out due to the shape of them so im not sure how taping them down would of changed this.....

I agree, I doubt this would even work or else when we go to sleep at night if we favour one side then one of our ears would stick out further than the other surely!

That's bizarre to say the least, I would love my child no matter what they looked like...

That's a bit mean! My LO will probably have ears that stick out as OH had them as a child and had plastic surgery on them. I think they look quite cute on kids! And if she does have them and when she's older wants them pinned back for any reason then she can, but it would be her decision.

You're much better teaching your child how to deal with other kids teasing and bullying, then trying to remove every cause of the teasing.

Um no i wouldn't. There's operations you can get to pin their ears back and I'd allow my child to get that done when it was old enough to make the decision for him or herself.

I reckon you might feel differently when your baby arrives - in that you will know what feels right for YOU and your baby. Besides your baby might not have ears like your uncle and even if it does, they will be absolutely perfect and cute to you! I understand your concerns but I think it is a more general motherhood concern about how to protect your child from the mercilessness of other children rather than about binding ears.

I personally wouldn't do it, not only because it seems so harsh on such a tender new little body, but because when babies are born their cartilage is different - I would be worried about causing more harm while the cartilage is still so soft and forming. Besides it takes a few months for their skull to settle into shape and that might effect the position of the ears.

i'd say, let the ears be free and pure as nature intended while the baby is a baby - if there looks to be something that might be troubling for the child, then it can be dealt with later on, and much safer.

Well that's true, if he does think his ears are too large then HE can get them fixed himself. Apparently it does work you can tell on my uncle where she had put the tape on. I'll just let him be himself and if he wants to change then so be it but not till he's older.

I wouldn't do this myself, i find it rather odd to say the least

One thing i would say tough about your uncle, is that the taping might not have made them less sticky out, he may just have grown into them naturally if you see what i mean

i don't know how you would know if it had worked if the ears are taped as a precaution to them getting big and sticky out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->