• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tax credits again........register self employed??

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
I have an interview at a pub tomorrow. My friend works there and she's told me they pay cash in hand but sort out the tax/n.i thereselves (will only be around £80 a week so doubt it will get taxed anyway)

But what I'm wondering is, how do I inform tax credits that I'm working if its cash in hand? Should I register self employed?? Or do they allow cash in hand?

I don't know the ins and ours yet so unsure what goes in in regards to pay slips etc.

Also I was looking into getting a casual as and when needed job so again would it be worth registering as self employed???

I'm so confused!

It won't be a self employed job if they are deducting ni and tax. It will be on the books, you will just get paid in cash, rather than into the bank. It's no different. Legally, therefore, you will receive a wage slip. If not, they are breaking employment law. You also need a contract etc.

In answer to you second question is any casual work where you will be ni/taxed at source you will (should) get a wage slip. You do not need to register as self employed.

So if they don't pay the tax n.i then I shouldn't take the job?

We're desperate for cash at the minute so I'll take anything. But don't want to do anything wrong :/

Sounds to me like it is not a cash in hand job as the pp has said, but just your pay is in cash as opposed to through the bank. As long as you get a wage slip from them you will be ok, but definitely clarify the details before taking the job, some of these places can be dodgy. I once worked on a pub for over a year and never got a wage slip, th I never cared at the time but when I needed to claim MA it stopped me from getting it

I have an interview at a pub tomorrow. My friend works there and she's told me they pay cash in hand but sort out the tax/n.i thereselves (will only be around £80 a week so doubt it will get taxed anyway)

But what I'm wondering is, how do I inform tax credits that I'm working if its cash in hand? Should I register self employed?? Or do they allow cash in hand?

I don't know the ins and ours yet so unsure what goes in in regards to pay slips etc.

So your friend gets paid, and then your friend sorts out her own Tax and NI is that correct? In that case I would say that is self employed. My ex was paid like this - on a larger scale - by an oil company and he had an accountant sort it out for him and he had to do a self assessment each year.

Sorry I read that the pub sorted the tax and NI

If it is the case that you have to do it yourself then you must register as self employed, it's easy enough to do and tax returns easy to file when you are just receiving a cash amount. mine is a nightmare with expenses etc but you wouldn't need to do all that

With regards total credits it doesn't matter if you are employed or self employed they are only interested in your income, not how you earn it.

Definitely find out the details of the pay before taking the job

My dh is self employed and with tax credits you just have to give them your profit at the end of the year off your tax return. Our accountant does the tax return for us though and just gives us the figure to give to them.

Sorry I read that the pub sorted the tax and NI

If it is the case that you have to do it yourself then you must register as self employed, it's easy enough to do and tax returns easy to file when you are just receiving a cash amount. mine is a nightmare with expenses etc but you wouldn't need to do all that

With regards total credits it doesn't matter if you are employed or self employed they are only interested in your income, not how you earn it.

Definitely find out the details of the pay before taking the job

I read it as the pub sorting it out too.

So if they don't pay the tax n.i then I shouldn't take the job?

We're desperate for cash at the minute so I'll take anything. But don't want to do anything wrong :/
If they don't pay it, then you need to register as self employed.

Thank you ladies!

Interview has been postponed til tomorrow due to weather! Yes the pub sort out the tax etc but as its £80 doubt they'll be any. I found out from my friend, she gets a wage slip once a month so looks like all is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->