Teenagers and alcohol?

2nd time mum

Reaction score
This one might cause a bit of controversy but I am interested in people's opinions here.

Would you buy alcohol for your 16 year old?

I don't have teenagers but I'm gonna go with no, I'm not a drinker and my parents never encouraged early drinking.

I don't think I'd buy my 16 year old alcohol. Especially not with his/her friends around or for any type of party. Now if I had a bottle of wine sitting around and they wanted a glass, or something along those lines, I don't think I'd have a problem with that. But buying your kid alcohol can get you in SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble, I wouldn't want to risk it. Seriously lol.

If it was for a wee drink in the house, with me there, then yes. As long as they were responsible, and I was there, I don't see much harm in it.

Better that than them stoating around drunk (as I did many a time at 14 :blush:) without my permission xx

If it was to drink in my house then probably, yes. I'd be scared they'd go out and get hold of the alcohol by other means and get drunk without me even knowing. I don't mean I'd buy enough to get a teenager drunk anyway. Maybe a bacardi breezer or something!

When I was younger my Mum always got me and my friend a WKD or 2 when she stayed over. She saw it as a much safer option because if I was out of the house she couldn't see what I was drinking or how much. I know if she stopped me drinking then I'd probably just go out and do it instead. :flower:

My mom used to and I stayed home and drank it most times, but still did it when I was out and it did me no good. I would be fine if we had company and my kids asked for ONE beer or something as we all sat around a bonfire or something but no I wouldnt go out and buy them alcohol to go party it up with their friends....

No, they could have a drink with us if we were having one but I wouldn't by drinks for them to have.

Absolutely not! I'm only 19 myself but there is no way in hell I'd EVER buy my daughter alcohol at 16! I'm her parent not her best friend. You can get in soooo much trouble for providing alcohol to minors here (or having teens drink at your house even if you know or not) major fines and possible jail time.

When I was 16 my parents would buy me wkd and things like that to drink if we had family or friends coming over for the evening etc. And would buy me a bottle to take if I was going to a friends party (at their house and it was ok with their parents)
I was also allowed to have beer and wine with them which I don't like anyway so never had it.
I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's not strong alcohol and if they're with adults in a safe environment. Better than them going out getting drunk on the streets.

it depends..... i would never buy them alcohol to take it out the house.
i would if they where fdrinking ot at home.
my mum brought me up with a white wine spritzer on special ocasions like xmas since i was probably about 12. being brought up with alcohol around me has ment when i turned 18 or even before i was never realy bothered about it. and neither are my brothers and sisters. so i think its good in your own home and not to eccess ! :D

I personally wouldent but thats due to I have people who are alchoholics in my family so dont like to be around alchohol. I dont drink at all, my OH doesent drink that much. I was bought up in a home where we didnt really drink due to alchoholism in the family, I never drank anything till I was 18 and even then it was only 1 or 2 alchopops occasionally. I never missed it. I think if its not around the home she wont be encouraged to drink

No, it's against the law. If your child got in a car accident, died, or something else, it would fall entirely on your shoulders, but it is against the law, and I do not break laws (or I wouldn't work where I work). I think it's irresponsible because you are teaching your teen that it is OK to break laws, and if you teach them that...what other laws are they going to break? I would rather teach my child if he/she goes to a party and happens to drink, then to phone me. Always, my kids can phone and I will go get them...but under no circumstances would I give alcohol, cigs or any other under age substance to my children, or support it, or allow it in my house.

beer and wine are freely to buy for 16 yo here. Also it is better to have them try alcohol at home than with friends.

beer and wine are freely to buy for 16 yo here. Also it is better to have them try alcohol at home than with friends.

Wow, that's young. It's 19 here...same with cigs

Hard alcohol is free from 18 years- (drivers license is only from 18 yeas on too as are any other adult based stuff such as conscription to army ;) )

No, it's against the law. If your child got in a car accident, died, or something else, it would fall entirely on your shoulders, but it is against the law, and I do not break laws (or I wouldn't work where I work). I think it's irresponsible because you are teaching your teen that it is OK to break laws, and if you teach them that...what other laws are they going to break? I would rather teach my child if he/she goes to a party and happens to drink, then to phone me. Always, my kids can phone and I will go get them...but under no circumstances would I give alcohol, cigs or any other under age substance to my children, or support it, or allow it in my house.

It's not illegal here to give alcohol to children in your own home. Above 5 I think.

It's not illegal here to give alcohol to children in your own home. Above 5 I think.

Seriously? Oh wow...no, that's a big no-no here. Funny how cultures are so different.

I would only give a teenager (16 and above) a wine or beer on a special occasion like a holiday meal or family thing. And even then only one. I would never buy them alcohol specifically for themselves or any for use outside of the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->