Teething

HCB

Reaction score
When did your preemie start teething? Did they start at the normal time at their corrected age or their actual age?

We're wondering if our son is possibly starting to teeth. He is 4 1/2 months actual, 1 1/2 months old corrected so don't know what the likelihood is.

Helen

Think it's a bit hit or miss really, theres really no expected time. Alex got hers about 5/6 months but a 34 weeker i know didnt get her first tooth until 1 year old.

I THINK Elias is beginning to teeth. He's a little over 3 months corrected, 5 /12 months actual.

Tooth eruption can be highly variable in any baby but I would expect the patterns to be delayed and to follow the corrected age more than the actual age if that makes sense. Dental developmental age can be widely different from chronological age too so children can be very delayed or advanced regardless of prematurity and it won't have any impact on anything really although as a dentist it is better if the adult teeth erupt later as this can have an impact on decay rates.
As a rough rule the teeth erupt around the following ages:
Deciduous incisors - 6 months +
Deciduous first molars 12 months +
Dec canines 18 months +
Dec second molar - 24 months +

It can take several months for teeth to push through so babies will chew on their fingers for a good while to help push them through but I remain to be convinced that most of the reported symptoms of teething are actually due to it.......many of the childhood illnesses can cause mild fever, drooling saliva, grumpiness, flushed cheeks etc and it is more likely that they pick up the common childhood viruses and the symptoms are then attributed to teething incorrectly.

Hope thats not too much of a seminar too early in the morning! But happy to answer any other tooth related questions! x

They both cut their first tooth on the same day! at 23 wks so 15 wks corrected - but i dont think theres a certain age, some babies can teeth for months before cutting a tooth prem or not! Its horrible! What did people do before calpol???

rosalie started teething at 6 months actual age x

Ellie had a tooth at 15 weeks actual age so (8 weeks corrected) where a Mia didnt have a tooth til 8 month xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->