Tegan Louise (27/09/09) planned homebirth turned hospital delivery

Rees

Mummy and Pregnant
Reaction score
We never knew what we were having and our baby, aka Sprog, was due 24th September 2009. I was planning on having a home birth and had the go ahead from my midwife, who was going to be on holiday the week I was due and the week after (excellent timing!!).

At my 40 week appointment (my fiancé’s birthday) I saw a different midwife, there was slight protein in my wee and my blood pressure was high for me (she used a small cuff and I’m not a small girl! But when she used the big cuff she got the same results because of her initial mistake!) what with that and my puffy feet and fingers she got all worried and rang the hospital and arranged for me to go in and be tested for pre-eclampsia. Got up there, bloods taken, wee sample given etc… no protein in my wee, bloods came back as fine and blood pressure was going back down! Was told I’d be in there for 4 hours, but after 2 was sent home (live a half an hour drive away and my lift had gone home for a few hours to have his tea - cheers Dad!) but before I went I was offered a sweep and the midwife found I was 2.5cms dilated already and could feel Sprog’s head! So went back home to wait and see what would happen.

The next day (Friday) was my birthday and as a lovely birthday present I lost my plug, and continued to lose it for the rest of the day, woo! But then nothing until Sunday where I was rudely woken up at 5:50 by my first contraction! Woke my fiancé up to let him know, what did he do? Yep, you guessed it, rolled back over and went to sleep! So after the next one about 10/15 mins after the first I rang my mum and he actually heard that and asked why didn’t I tell him! Lol!

I stayed in bed for a little bit and then got up to watch a bit of tv, eventually decided to have a shower as contractions were stupidly infrequent and varying in strength. The shower made them come on a bit stronger and a bit more frequently, but not enough to ring the midwife. It was the Singapore Grand Prix and my mum was making a roast for lunch, so I went round there to eat (luckily she lives just around the corner) and to watch the Grand Prix, well, that was my intention!

As I was eating my roast the contractions started to become more painful and more frequent, but I managed to finish my roast and then they became infrequent, AGAIN! So I sit down to watch the grand prix, getting contractions every 12/13/9/20 mins, then suddenly every 3 or 4 mins! Uh oh, I waddled home and my fiancé rang the duty midwife who was out seeing someone else and would be with me asap. It was the same midwife who discovered my high blood pressure *cries* and it was high again! So there went my home birth! She examined me (during the last stages of the grand prix no less!) and I was only 3 - 4cms dilated but she could feel that Sprog’s head was also quite swollen L and so I had to go to hospital, she also swabbed me as I was convinced that my waters had started to trickle out but she wasn’t so sure. First thing I asked when I walked back downstairs was - who won the grand prix? (Yay, go Lewis Hamilton!)

Contractions in a little Corsa are evil! I was begging for an epidural by the time we got out of town as my dad had to stop and get petrol!

Eventually got to hospital at 4:20pm and got on the gas an air a few contractions later - wonderful stuff! Hadn’t felt so out of it in months J had a lovely midwife called Pauline and could not fault her. Had most of a chomp and then had a bath, which was lovely, but couldn’t cope in the bath with the gas and air, I wanted to get out and get on my knees, the bath made the contractions come thick and fast and I ended up kneeling on the bed holding onto the headrest with one hand and my gas and air in the other with either my mum or fiancé rubbing my back.

At 7pm I had to move onto my back to be examined and I was 8cm dilated by this point, woohoo! Midwife went to break my waters and only a trickle came out, so I was right, I’d had a slow trickle since 10am! Pauline wasn’t sure if she’d still be on duty when I got to the pushing stage as she was due to go at 8:30 L

The next 2 hours are a little bit hazy through my gas and air daze! I remember Pauline going out and then coming back in and asking if I was comfy as I was (lying on my back still with my legs akimbo and nothing covering my bits) I was fine, I didn’t care what I looked like so she left me go J I also remember asking if I was turtling, lol, and was very polite when asking for bites of chomp and water. Pauline left and then I think the new midwife was called Sandra, but who knows! I was told to push when I felt an uncontrollable need, and I asked what that was like, lol, or something like that, it’s all becoming a blur now.

Anyhoo, at 9pm I started to push, and little Sprog was placed on my chest at 9:23 J my mum thought I’d had a boy, but no, I had a little girl, she just had swollen lady bits J and she weighed 7lb 5 ¾ oz.

The hospital wanted me to stay in overnight, so I did, but really wish that I didn’t, was kept in for my blood pressure to be monitored, but for it to be taken at 7am and again at 3:30pm that’s not monitoring! There was no reason to keep me there, I hadn’t had any other pain relief apart from gas and air and had a small 1st degree tear that didn’t need any stitches, and I could already go for a pee fine! I eventually cried to the right people and complained enough that they kicked me out at 7pm.

Seen loads of different midwives since I got home, the first one discovered something interesting - my labour and delivery notes weren’t mine! Then the hospital gave her a cock and bull story as to why it happened! (it should NEVER have happened! - luckily I didn’t have the energy to read through my notes!)

I was breastfeedingfor the first 10 days when I gave up and switched to formula as Tegan no longer latches on properly and my nipples hurt and it was stressing me out far too much.

Sorry that it’s such a long post! I talk too much! But here’s some piccies to make the read worthwhile :)

This was written when Tegan was 11 days old, she’s now 7 ½ weeks and now weighs 11lb 1oz! And currently has a cold :(

Tegan in hosp.jpg

Tegan.jpg

Tegan leaving hosp.jpg

she's a lot bigger now but haven't uploaded any more piccies yet! (it's been nice to get on here though!)

Thanks for reading if you got this far :hugs:

Congratulations, sorry u didnt get to have your home birth. She is lovely

:flower: Congrats! on your little princess. She is beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->