Telling employer about pregnancy

blinker86

Reaction score
I just got my :bfp: yesterday and am just about 4 weeks along. :happydance: I have my first prenatal appointment scheduled for May 7th and am waiting for a call to schedule a separate ultrasound appointment either the week or or the week before my regular appointment. Given that I will already have two doctor appointments (plus a dental appointment in May as well that was scheduled months ago), I'm wondering what to tell my coworkers if they ask about all these appointments! I've worked here for over 5 years and have rarely ever taken time off for sickness or doctor related things, so I'm a little worried that they may pry. I'm not opposed to telling my boss and coworkers because I know they will be very supportive, but I don't want to do it so early. How has/would you handle this?

I was in a very similar situation. I chose to tell only my boss, but I also sort of had to because part of my job duties include lifting heavy machinery, and I was no longer cleared to do that.

Your coworkers may pry, but you are under no obligation to answer them. If they ask, I would just say it's a personal matter and then change the subject. They'll get the hint pretty quickly. They may suspect, but that's on them, not you.

Congratulations!!

Congratulations! I don't need to tell yet as I only work 3 days and am able to go to appointments on days I don't work, plus my work duties aren't affected. If it was something that was affecting my work or I needed time off I would tell my boss and ensure they only told the necessary people. Pregnant ladies are protected (at least here) rather than being off sick which if you're off sick too much they can discipline etc. as for colleagues, I agree with pp let them guess!

I just got a new job and the boss knew i was expecting, as do all of my co workers already, but I dont do my job any different so it hasnt been an issue.

I wrote him a letter and gave it him at exactly 12 weeks

I'm going to tell my boss tomorrow, as I'm a health care assistant for the elderly there is a lot of moving and handling required in my job so I have to have a risk assessment done ASAP. I'm scared of telling my boss as I will be the seventh person in a matter of months to tell her I'm pregnant ooopppsss haha must be something in the water at out place xx

Thanks for all the input! I have a desk job and pretty much make my own schedule each day, so I'm not too worried about needing any accommodations there. I'm thinking I will probably just spill the beans after my first ultrasound and initial appointment next month, assuming all goes well. My office consists of just 10 employees with only one of those being male, so I feel pretty comfortable sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->