Telling my dad - Need advice

Wishx

Reaction score
Ok so..
My OH and I have told everyone except for my dad (my parents are divorced). My dad is 72 now and although he doesnt regret having kids he has always told me "dont have kids and dont get married".
My OH and I are not married, being pregnant was definitly a surprise (a good one) but i'm worried about telling him.
He's 72 and not very tolerant of noise, hes at the age where he likes peace and quiet. We have been together for quite a while now and my OH and dad have yet to meet. My dad is awkward with those kind of things, he worries easily and isnt a fan of change.
I'm going for lunch with him on friday and i'm really worried about how to tell him...I know he wont be mad, he will just be worried. I have found that telling people im pregnant is difficult - i dont know why but its hard to say the words out loud and its emotional.
I'm 10 weeks and i'm already showing. I'm honestly debating telling him on the phone or just asking my mom to call and talk to him (hes going to spam her phone anyways).
What do you ladies think i should do? I know this seems silly. :cry:

I would just get it out there and tell him it wont be as bad as you think :)
good luck

Not silly at all :hugs: I can't give much advice, but I will say I bet your dad will be delighted to have a grandchild around. He might be against change and dislike noise but a) it's not like he will have the noise 24/7 and b) those rules don't seem to apply for children they're related to. He'll probably end up being wrapped around the baby's finger. If it makes you feel better, then ask your mum to break the news because you're wanting him to have time to process it before you go for lunch. I'm sure it'll all be fine... good luck! :hugs:

It's not silly at all to feel this way. I have no advice on how to break the news.... but just know and remind yourself, that no matter how he takes the news it is YOUR BABY and YOU and your OH are HAPPY about it. It isnt your dad's baby, it's yours and that, right there, is all that matters. Good luck!

Don't worry about "asking a silly question" because some people honestly have a fear of announcing to certain people. I still haven't told a lot of people yet this pregnancy because honestly I'm scared to... and I'm married with three other children lol. My parents are always the ones I dreaded telling but then once I did I felt so much better. Your dad will probably be shocked at first... natural enough... but I bet he'll start getting more excited the further along you get. Good luck, hun :)

he says don't get married and don't have kids but you're young and your choices in life are different and your view is different and theres nothing wrong with that. I'm 31 with 5 kids and married and each time I was pregnant i was always afraid to tell my dad because he seems to think he can still tell me wat to do. but we're living our lives the way we see fit and ppl either respect it or they don't shoot their opi ions about it. let him know when you see him. good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->