Telling my parents

RachelLynda

TTC baby #3
Reaction score
I'm currently 5/6 weeks with my first. I've got a while before I have to realistically tell my parents but I have NO idea how I'm going to tell them :( My OHs parents are no problem, they've already said to us 'If that's what you want we'll obviously support you just understand the how hard it'll be' (We haven't told them yet but we slipped it into conversation a while back.

The problem is, my parents, my mum has told me time and time again how disappointed she'll be because she wants me to have more for my life (not that a baby will ruin my life, in the sense that she knows it'll be harder to get a career and she doesn't have one really) I've already disappointed her by leaving university back in November 2012.
I don't know how to tell her because she'll cry, then i'll cry, then she'll shout then i'll cry more and I don't want extra stress as I'm stressed enough as it is with other issues and don't want it to affect bubs :/

She lives about 200 miles away so I don't HAVE to tell her face to face but I don't know how to do it :(
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Tell her that she shouldn't be disappointed, as your doing what YOU want to do with your life, not what she wants to do with your life. Not everyone is career focused. Tell get that as long as your happy, she should be too...

Id just tell her, email her a scan photo, tell her how excited you are, and to keep the negativity to herself. You dont live under her roof, and from your signature you ttc'ed the baby. Good news about being far away is that you can just ignore her if she cant keep it to herself!
Congratulations by the way

Sometimes it's just easier to just tell her, as pp suggested, maybe you could just email her? It'll give her some time to take it in! Good luck! I'm sure it will all be fine.

Although you're assuming she'll be upset, she might not...I'd tell her to her face. Can your hunny go with you? That would ensure you have support just for you. If she does get upset then off you go, let her have some time to cool her head and wait for her to come around. I'm willing to bet she will.

Sorry I haven't replied - somehow managed to lose this thread (Don't ask!)
Thanks for your advice everyone - I can't tell her face to face as 1. I'm a chicken and 2. I live about 200 miles away so if she wants to kill my OH then he's got a few hours to move :p Luckily we have our own home and my partner has a good paying job, could be better but couldn't everyone haha. I'm thinking either email her a scan and explaining it all or writing a letter and include a scan picture. I'm going to wait till my 12 week scan before saying anything but they're coming down to see me for a few days when I'm 8 going on 9 weeks so I'm hoping morning sickness doesn't appear in those few days (already got it but only feeling sick not being sick so hopefully it says like that) but don't know which is best to do email or letter. I know the email will be quicker and I know she'll get it but then a letter is more personal and she'll have a hard copy of the scan but then I'm worried in case she doesn't get it or something else. But at least I have part of a plan now! haha.
Thank you all for the congratulations/luck/advice :D
xxx

I was scared to death to tell my husbands mom. Every time we went to her house (roughly around 3 times a month) she would make sure to tell us not to have a baby because we are not ready and that this world is an awful place and blah blah blah. My husband and I have been together 7 years.... So in all actuality we would be fine. When we actually did tell her she said nothing but happy things. Idk if its because she was 100% happy it because she had the common sense not to say anything negative since the deed was already done. Either way now she is completely exctatic and really interested in the sex. It's killing her not knowing. Just tell your mom either in person or over email or text and tell her straight up that you want no negativity coming from her or anyone else, that you are trilled about the situation and if she's not then you will not talk to her until she decides to be happy for you. Good luck Hun!

I was scared to death to tell my husbands mom. Every time we went to her house (roughly around 3 times a month) she would make sure to tell us not to have a baby because we are not ready and that this world is an awful place and blah blah blah. My husband and I have been together 7 years.... So in all actuality we would be fine. When we actually did tell her she said nothing but happy things. Idk if its because she was 100% happy it because she had the common sense not to say anything negative since the deed was already done. Either way now she is completely exctatic and really interested in the sex. It's killing her not knowing. Just tell your mom either in person or over email or text and tell her straight up that you want no negativity coming from her or anyone else, that you are trilled about the situation and if she's not then you will not talk to her until she decides to be happy for you. Good luck Hun!

Thank you :) Yeah, I was planning to say to her that I don't need the negativity as my baby is what I need to focus on now :) I think it's not her being mad I'm worried about it's the 'disappointed' word that will kill me :( I've got a few more weeks to get up the courage to tell her, I'll probably be more willing to tell once I've seen my baby for the first time on the scan :D xx

Make sure she knows at the same time as you tell other people and I would do it early so she has time to adjust, my mum wasn't pleased and it took her from 6 weeks until 17 weeks to even talk about it with me and at that time I loved with her. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->