Telling the Folks

Vanilla Spice

Reaction score
We're not trying yet but I'm terrified that when we do and if we are lucky to fall pregnant that I won't be able to talk to my parents about my excitement, my fears, anything...I don't even know where to start about telling them in the first place.

Does anyone else have parents who wouldn't be too pleased to be told that they are grandparents-to-be? If so, how are you planning to break the news to them and protect your feelings when they show no interested in one of the most exciting 9 months of your life? :cry:

Thanks!

I know my mom will be excited but im pretty sure my dad will hit the roof!!!! Ill just tell him out right and say i would love him to be involved (will be his first grandchild) I know eventually he will come round to the idea. Dont worry about it though hun, im sure it will all work out xxx

I'm the opposite, I think my mum will be over-excited - more so than me. We don't have a great relationship so I think we're gonna wait as long as possible before telling her as she'll want to be involved in everything and tell me i'm doing everything wrong etc

i have this same problem. i think eventually they will both come round to the idea of you having your own child but i think most of the time they forget that you yourself arn't a child any more.

I have this problem with my parents forgetting that i am 23 and not 10

You never now they might just surprise you and be over the moon. I've always been worried about how my parents would react because I know they think of me still being their little girl and forget that I'm 22. Whenever I mentioned babies or my friends being pregnant they always said "you better not do that anytime soon" or "your far too young" but I told my mum how broody I've been and that me and OH are planning TTC next year and she was okay about it. She was 30 when she had me and she thought that was too young but she understands I want a big family and I'm not bothered about my career or anything and that I want to be a young mum. She now keeps mentioning it and seems really excited so you never now hun. I hope everything works out for you :D

You never now they might just surprise you and be over the moon. I've always been worried about how my parents would react because I know they think of me still being their little girl and forget that I'm 22. Whenever I mentioned babies or my friends being pregnant they always said "you better not do that anytime soon" or "your far too young" but I told my mum how broody I've been and that me and OH are planning TTC next year and she was okay about it. She was 30 when she had me and she thought that was too young but she understands I want a big family and I'm not bothered about my career or anything and that I want to be a young mum. She now keeps mentioning it and seems really excited so you never now hun. I hope everything works out for you :D

i also get this. I too want a big family and so does my OH. we are in the middle of saving for a deposit on a house ( almost there )

It isn't like i haven't done anything with my life, i have an Hon Degree from University but to me, i'd rather build up my family THEN get that big job - not only will i be older but i won't miss out on all those moments with my kiddies. I'm very lucky to have a supportive OH who is quite broody himself :thumbup:

I was all excited to tell my family we made the date to start ttc. We started with OH's family. He called his Mom who has been on our case about giving her another granbaby for years now, and she just said that's great. His older sister was the same way. It was so disapointing. I felt almost foolish to be soo excited for wtt. It's like they were thinking, come tell us when you're pregnant, then we'll be excited. Ofcourse, they wouldn't actually say that to us. So now I'm not sure about telling my family. Maybe I'll just tell my mom and go from there.

You might be surprised. I thought my parents would be upset because I was only engaged to my husband at the time I announced my pregnancy. We might have been done with college and had stable jobs but I know my mom still thought of me as the baby because I'm the youngest. My mom was shocked but excited and my dad acted like it was no big deal. I was so afraid to tell them that I waited until around 10 weeks to call them.

I'm nearly 24 and married and I am sure that my parents will be shocked :wacko: They sometimes seem to think that I'm still a little girl and that there is no way that we could be thinking about having children.

Quite a few months back my Dad just randomly dropped into conversation "oooh don't have kids yet...it changes everything and there is so much that you won't be able to do"...my Mum pretty quickly told him to shut up and said that it was up to us what we wanted to do and he did agree with her and went quiet on the whole subject. My Mum also got all freaked out a few weeks ago and when my sister joked about me being PG.

I love my parents very very much and we are close (but I just don't feel the need to talk to them about how much I want children!) soooooo I guess when the time comes it will be a suprise for them :flower:

My MIL and FIL will be super excited, but my parents will not. I know I will get a long list from my mom on how I am ruining my life. I also know we won't get any help from them. It's hard to know they will react that way, but I'm also very thankful for my in-laws. They are going to be such a great support for us.

I hope when the time comes you will be pleasantly surprised by the reaction. What makes you think they will be disappointed hun? Mine were happy but cautious as I had a prev m/c and i dont think they wanted to get too excited just incase.

I think my mum would be really excited, but I'm not sure how my Dad would react. I'm 22 and been married nearly 2 years now but I think my dad still thinks of me as a little girl sometimes. My cousin who had her first son at my age keeps telling me not to have children any time soon and concentrate on "being young" first which is also really annoying.

I know that when I talk to my parents now they think that we are too young. Not in age, they mean in maturity. We are quite immature, OH is 21 and I'm 20 and we like to have fun and act our age but we are getting ready to grow up and OH actually said the other night that he wants to start trying for a baby this year. Not sure if he was just feeling nice because it was our anniversary or if he really wanted to try!

I know that my parents and the rest of my family will get excited when I tell them I am pregnant but at the end of the day our families only want the best of us and even if they go around it in the wrong way they still love us and want us to be happy. I would be really shocked if my parents turned round and said that I had made a mistake, after all they spent nearly ten years (from when my mum was 21) trying to conceive before they got me.

xxx

Thanks so much guys - fingers crossed that they surprise me by being excited for us if we are lucky enough to fall pregnant. :flower:

I understand! My mum keeps tring to teach me about birth control! I think she would die if I told her I was trying to learn how to do the opposite.
My DP's mum would be over the moon. She keeps trying to hint things like "I wouldn't mind babysitting *wink*" (over my dead body-unless of course you decide to clean your bathroom more than twice a year that is) so I would have no trouble there.
I am the youngest in my family too.

I think it will always be difficult to predict how your parent's will react to your first pregnancy. I had a bizarre enough reaction when we told my parents we were engaged. How can you guess how they will react to something you have never posed to them before. Just be open with them, at the end of the day they will be the grandparent's to your children and they will want to be involved even if it's hard for them to digest at first. Parents can always surprise you, even though you've known them your whole life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->