Temping, same time or when first wake up?

Nearlymarried

Reaction score
So my FF app has told me my temp is a lot more all over the place than a 'normal' chart. I have been taking my temp as soon as I wake up which isn't always at the same time. Sometimes my kids wake me up earlier and sometimes work wakes me up all hours of the night. Should I take it at the same time every day or should I take it as soon as I wake up every day? On days where I wake up super early should I discard the temp, take it when I wake up or take it the usual time?
Thanks!

I'm no help to you Nearlymarried, but I'd also love to know the answer to this question! My 15 month old DS wakes at all hours of the night, making hard to know when to take my temp:(

It is very difficult! I see your chart has picked up ovulation so hopefully mine will too!

I know they say 'same time' but i never do it same time - well not exactly. For me at least i just take temp as soon as i wake up - whether its 6am during the week or 9.30am on weekends. I think as long as you've been asleep for 3+ hours (ie not a nap and u havent got up and done anything - even speak or go loo etc) it should work ok.

I notice temp changes as long as i make sure its the very first thing i do - literally roll over and thermometer on nightstand.

Good luck x

You need to do it at the same time everyday! You can get by with doing it half hour early or late. the longer you wait in the morning, the high your temp is going to be. if you temp at the same time, your temp should be roughly the same. unless ovulation occurs. Your temps are all over the place because you don't do it at the same time.

when I used to temp, I would temp around 6:30 to 7. Once I slept in and took my temp at 9:30 and it was extremely high. I got excited thinking I ovulated, but really I didn't...this happened a couple times in my one cycle, my cycle lasted 6 months. It was only much higher because I took it much later.

Some women can still figure out ovulation from their charts if you temp when ever and not at the same time, but it is much harder to tell.

Try and temp at the same time if you can, or try to temp at the same time MOST of the time...on those day you sleep in, take your temp anyways but I wouldn't consider it much help. GL

So if I wake up a bit earlier should I wait until the right time or just do it when I wake anyway?
Thank you so much for your help :)

I will try to tell my son not to wake between 2:30am and 5:30am (when I take my temp), but I am not sure he'll listen!

I know taking a bbt reading at the same time each day (and after 3 hours of sleep) is ideal, but as I am learning with a baby in the house, sometimes 'ideal' and what is achievable are two different things.
So I either take it at 5:30am regardless of whether I have been up for an hour between 3:30am-4:30am etc, or I take it when DS wakes as close to 5:30am as possible- eg I have to get up to him at 4:30am so I take my temp before I get up to settle him.

I am pretty sure a fair bit of my temp variation in the first half of my chart was because I hadn't ovulated and I had a virus for two weeks. Progesterone blood tests put my ovulation between CD17 and CD23.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Nearlymarried!

The temp and time thing is also something I struggle with...ff is also telling me my temps aren't 'normal' and it is because during the week I temp between 5/6am and at the weekends maybe 8.30am. I have considered setting the alarm at the weekend and maybe if I don't get bfp soon I will take that next step...

Ashla, no worries it's good to hear how others are getting around it! I am pretty sure I haven't ovulated an this is my first cycle temping so I just want to be a me to see something!

Yes, I remember when ttc DS, for a few months, I felt like my charts weren't telling me much. Then after a few months I started to see a pattern and could tell when I ovulated.

Have you been ttc for long? At least the fact that you have children means you know you are ovulating! But yes, it is frustrating when you just want to see those cross hairs and they are not appearing!

Would you consider posting a link to your chart? There are tons of knowledgeable ladies on here who might be able to give you some suggestions as to what is happening with it.

In wondered the same thing. Interesting to read everyone different. I think setting an alarm is something i will try as well. xxx

https://https://www.fertilityfriend.com/m/home.php/45186d
There is my chart, my first two temps and the open circle one I had very restless nights. I think I probably haven't ovulated yet as I've had no pos OPKs.
This is my second cycle trying and also my second cycle off BCP.

|Take it as soon as you wake up, I never chart at the same time. I wake between 6 -11am, and my chart is still readable, and I can find the rise of when I ovulate. However, if you want to chart at the same time every day, maybe set an alarm for say 6:00am, wake up take your temp and go back to sleep (whatever time works for you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->