TENS Machines - Anyone used them during labour/birth?

Mango

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am looking into using a TENS machine during labour. I'm hoping for a natural birth but am looking into natural pain killers/reducers. Has anyone ever used a TENS machine during labour/birth or know of anyone else that has. All experiences and stories welcome!!!

TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) machine is a machine consisting of four pads with electrodes connected by wires to a battery operated pulsar. The pads are stuck onto your back (2 below your bra line and 2 above the panty line). Using a hand held control, you give yourself weak electric currents which then travel through to the points where you have the electrodes.

TENS machines are specially designed to combat pain during childbirth. The stimulation from a TENS machine, which feels like 'pins and needles', affects the way pain signals are sent to the brain. Pain signals reach the brain via sensory nerves and the spinal cord. If pain signals can be blocked then the brain will receive fewer signals from the source of the pain. Just like a gate not letting anything pass. They also stimulate your body to produce higher levels of its own natural pain killers called 'endorphins' .

TENS machines are thought to work in two ways.

• When the machine is set on a high pulse rate it triggers the 'pain gate' to close. This is thought to block a pain nerve pathway to the brain. This is the normal method of use.
  • When the machine is set on a low pulse rate it stimulates the body to make its own pain easing chemicals called endorphins. These act a bit like morphine to block pain signals. li>
Benefits of TENS machines are that they are:
  • Totally safe and drug free
  • You are in control
  • You can continue to be mobile while using it
  • It allows you to use other drugs such as pethadine or gas and air
  • It is every effective if used from the onset of labour. Once the correct strength of the current has been set, the effects can be felt immediately.
  • No side effects in the baby
  • No side effects in you
Most hospitals do not provide a TENS machine. You will need to confirm this with either your midwife or the hospital directly well in advance. You can hire a TENS machine which can be delivered to your door two weeks before your expected due date. If you are planning to use TENS for pain relief during labour, it is recommend that you book your machine at least a month before your due date. You can of course purchase a TENS machine, choose from many companies advertising on the internet.

That sounds really interesting. I am such a wimp im scared to try anything but who knows when I am in that much pain giving birth I wont care

Yeah it's completely painless so I've thought about it... I'm just not entirely sure though. You can rent them from Mothercare and Boots I think for about £40 (can anyone confirm whether I've got the right price for this?).

I used one with Emily and found it useless TBH but i think it needs to be put on at first twinges, i was further on and it didn't touch the pain
I have read and spoke to others though who found it the best thing since sliced bread
You certainly have nothing to lose trying one out

Check out if you can hire them from the hospital. My local hospital lends them for £20. However, I got one from my community midwives for free, I just have to supply the batteries.

They say putting it on early is the key and then you can increase the level from there on in. I really really don't want an epi or other chemicals but at the same time I'm a sucker for pain so I had better find a solution and quick LOL

Me too i really dont want epi or anything thing else but I am such a wimp. Maybe TENS machine is worth a go I will have a talk to my midwife when I see her again in 6 weeks (toooooo long for me) I am terrified of needles so I defo dont want epi, plus think it slows down labour.

I used one, put iton as soon as the contractions were getting quite uncomfy and it lasted me till I was about 6cm when they could have plugged me into the mains and it wouldn't have helped.I am going to use one again, found it very helpful, if nothing else having to use it during a contraction tok my mind of it.

Reviving this thread in hopes of more replies...anyone else used a TENS machien durring labour/birth?

hi, i used a tens machine from my first contraction up until i arrived at hospital (where i was 8cm dilated) I agree you do need to use it early as you can turn up the volume. I did use it on most contractions, i wont lie and say that it makes them painless but i think it must take the edge off.
I rented mine from my local surestart and it cost £10.
Anyway any questions you think of just ask, oh and yes ill get one again this time if that helps!

i used a tens when i was in labor with my son 6 years ago, i hired one form boots but now u can actually buy them from around £40, there great for after the baby is born to cope with period pains.
i was induced with my son and had the machine ready for the first contraction, i found it very helpfull in the first stages of labor when the pain is quite bad but bareable, its was only when the pains got really intense that i noticed even on the highest charge the tens just couldnt kill the pain and i opted for pain relief, they are definatly worth having in my experiance but everyone is different and everyones bodys are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->