Terrible cook :(

mrsneish2b

Reaction score
thats me, im so terrible :( i try really hard, like today i spent hours making a fish pie from scratch, i used creme Fraiche & milk seasoned for the sauce, mixed fish, white, smoked and salmon, and lots of mashed potatoes for the topping, sounds nice??.., well its horrible, its super bland, even tho i seasoned lots! and the sauce, its curdled :( it looks sick,
Im honestly close to tears! im on my second week of mat leave and trying really hard to make nice meals from scratch for my DH and DD and they all turn out pants, but look lovely :(

Im sorry for the moan, i stick to the recipe but it just doesnt turn out what we expect,
My DH is due home in an hour and the pie that he's been really looking forward to for tea, tastes so bland im embarrassed to give it to him,

does practice make perfect or shall i just give up now?

sorry for the moan

xx

hi there,

ok in life there are some people who get things right first time and the rest of us that dont. Depends with cooking on a lot of things.

First, get a good cook book depending on your abilities and work through the really SIMPLE things.

some tips:

COOKWARE: proper knifes pots pans etc a range of things is good to start off with.
does not mean expensive just good.

start of with really simple things like scrambled eggs / fried eggs / cooking chicken etc.
this might SOUND simple but you can have all sorts of fun learning the right way to do things.

PRESENTATION: I love trying to present the food good.

Follow the reciepe exactly and use GOOD ingredients.

work on things you KNOW your OH likes,
my OH checkes with my mom on what i like and how to cook it.

At the end of the day, you will get better and have fun trying.
Even I have made the same thing perfectly and the odd time its horrible.
Cooking is not an exact art, a slight ingredient wrong here, wrong tempreature there
and youve lost it.

keep at it, I'm sure your OH will appreciate your efforts !

Good Luck !

Also just thought,

may be the receipies fault!

so dont be too hard on yourself !

:)

It will get better with practice hun. Start off simple, now that doesn't mean having to give him toast for tea! But if you wanted to make for example your fish pie, you can find really complex recipes or nice simple tasty ones. if you search online for simple fish pie you will find plenty. Things like casseroles and stews are dead easy you just chop it all up, stick in the dish and bung it in the oven. Then its just a case of trial and error, some things will work some won't. As you experiment you will get to know what tastes nice to you and OH.

I'm no expert but my confidence is growing so if you want any easy recipes, PM me.

And by the way, its great that you're even giving it a go from scratch, your OH should be grateful for that! X

aw hun dw, practise rlly does make perfect. As for the fish pie did u just add the milk/creme fraiche staright to the pot?
When im doing a fish pie i make a rue first with a the milk and creme, a little butter and flour. I also add some fresh dill and chives for seasoning.
If u post the recipe i dot mind having a look and seeing if i can work out what went wrong?
It will get better hun, and easier. Eventually itll get to so u dont even have to think about it to produce a scrummy meal :flower: xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->