Terrified of an epidural...

siobhankerry

Mummy to 1 - Expecting #2
Reaction score
hiya, so just as the title says lol

i am either gonna go vbac or a planned c-section this time & i would absolutley love to have babygirl naturally, but due to a few episodes of RFM im seeing my consultant on thursday who will check to see if my cervix is favourable for dialating/breaking my waters , if its not then it will be a csection ... with DD'1 i was in labour for hours & by the time an epidural was suggested with her, i was out my face on gas and air that i didnt notice a thing, i just knew there were people behind me for a good half hour, trying to site the needle! took them 7 tries before they found the right spot!
(im only 4ft7, so the spacing in my back wouldnt open properly because i couldnt curl around my bump,thats why took them so long, atleast thats what i was told) .. but yeah the thought of gtting that epidural done ( & the likely possibility of it taking them as long, like with DD1 ) terrifies me, im mean the thought of it brings me close to tears :( im not sure they would even let me have G&A in theatre just to get me through it .. not like special treatment or anything, but i am actually shitting my pants at the thought of it LOL ..

ohhh dear god, im a nervous wreck if im being completely honest..

any help/advice/ or if someone wants to give me a Cyber slap and tell me to get a grip thats also fine lol !! xxx

No I think it's justified I'd be terrified too. I think you could request something to calm you down and if g&a worked then I really don't see why you couldn't have it while they are doing it.
xx

Well, I'm not really sure how to make u feel better about the time thing, but I can totally relate. Im pg with my 5th, but only had 1 epidural, with my last. Took him 45 min to get it in. I was told it's because I'm plus size, bu two really knows. The anesthesiologist who did it was a bit of a wacko. Kept telling me to "hold still". I'm was barely moving, and could've punched him. Didn't like him from the min he walked into the room. Plus, once it was in, it only worked on 1 side. 😠
Hopefully who ever does your next one, it won't take so long. I don't plan on getting another one, mostly because I had some back issues for close to a year after, and don't want to risk that again. Gl!!

thanks ladies, i will deffinetly be asking on thursday if i can have something to help keep me calm, not just for me but them aswell as i really think i would piss them off for all the crying that will no doubt be happening <3 ..

my back is the same, from the site point of the last one, i have a numb/cold/pain that goes diagonally down the my left hip .. only ever happend since i had epidural with DD1 .. thanks again hunnies, will no doubt let yous know how i get on hehe <3 .. just absolutely scared out of my mind hehe

goodluck to you both for rest of your pregnancies <3 xoxo

My IV hurt worse than my epidural. I was terrified as well but they talked to me the whole way through xx good luck

I am on the same boat! I was on the gas and air when I had my epidural so didn't feel much. This time I'm a csection so I'm really nervous about doing the whole thing without the g & a!

I would take an epidural over a cannula in my hand any day! Don't worry... You will be fine.

Plus if you have an elective they may go for a spinal in which case the needle is MUCH smaller. You should only feel the local which will be the same as a blood test xx

I was fully cognizant (aside from being in pain) when I got mine. Didn't feel a thing, other than a sudden cold and then sweet, sweet relief. It WAS really hard to hold still for them during contractions, though.

I would make sure that they are aware of your fear and HOW much you are afraid. They should definitely be able to give you something to calm you down if you need it.

Also you could ask to have a nurse hold you still while it is being put in. And try to let them put it in seconds after a contraction ended!

thanks for taking the time too reply ladis, very much appreciated ..
i am just such an utter shit bag when it comes to things like this lol .. i dont particularly enjoy getting bloods or anything done, but the thought of the epi/spinal is really turning my stomach :( .. will just need to ask consultant what they allow in theatre .. fingers crossed they are able to let me try and have baby on my own rather than section .. if not, well atleast i know either way my baby will be here, Happy and Healthy <3 .. Good luck all you mamas :) xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->