Thatcher is dead

Natsku

Reaction score
What does everyone think about people celebrating her death?
I've already seen quite a few facebook statuses saying "ding dong the witch is dead" which I must admit was the first thought that came to my head when I read that she had died.

I think it's fine (and normal) to have that initial reaction because we're only human, but I personally think publicizing those types of feelings is in poor taste. I felt the same way when Sadaam Hussein was killed and he was a horrible human being. No, I wasn't sad he was gone, but something just feels "off" about celebrating death. That's just me though and I know many will dissagree.

I think this article sums up nicely how I feel:

https://www.bgnews.com/opinion/columns/celebrating-death-is-un-american/article_507836de-8f72-11e2-99a6-001a4bcf887a.html

There is, always has been and always will be a difference between being glad for the death of someone dangerous and rejoicing about it.

It says a lot about us as a society when we celebrate death. What we are doing is disrespecting the somberness of the occasion and turning someone’s death into a macabre spectacle.

...if we celebrate the deaths of our enemies like giddy schoolchildren clamoring over a snow day, then we can be sure that it isn’t moral superiority.

The article is really US-centered, but it makes the point.

I agree with Noelle, politics aside, she was a mother and a grandmother, how must they feel seeing people celebrate her death, I find that pretty upsetting and very poor taste :(

Personally I think having parties and celebrating is just horrible tbh. I lived through the "Thatcher years" and experienced first hand the damage she caused here in Scotland. I am not sad she is gone, as I said on the other thread I am indifferent. It's looking likely Cameron will do just the same all over again which is why I'm looking forward to voting for an independent Scotland.

I'm not really saddened to hear the news, I wasn't a fan of Lady Thatchers and I dislike what the tories stand for. However I do feel sad for her family, ultimately she was a Mum and a Grandmother and I do think its very disrespectful to speak ill of the dead so I do not agree with a lot of what's being said about her on social networking sites.

The only things I really know about her have come from Billy Elliot the musical, so not good things (a lot of them were miners when she was in power) :haha: because of that when I heard I thought 'good' but then I realised, I don't know enough about her to really hate her enough to be glad she's dead, neither does the majority of people on my twitter who are posting that they're glad she's dead :wacko:

I think it's fine (and normal) to have that initial reaction because we're only human, but I personally think publicizing those types of feelings is in poor taste. I felt the same way when Sadaam Hussein was killed and he was a horrible human being. No, I wasn't sad he was gone, but something just feels "off" about celebrating death. That's just me though and I know many will dissagree.

i agree. i think she had balls and respect her for that. Although i was only just born when she came into power (i think) so havent experienced the reasons for her hate.

agree with her over the falklands tho!

The only thing that can be said about her from my point of view is that she stuck to her principles, something which is unheard of in today's politics.

On the other hand, she caused a tremendous amount of damage to this country and her legacy will continue for a long time. Don't let a few idiots looking for attention put us off a proper discussion of the harm she did, and how it can be undone.

I have a lot of respect for her she had balls. RIP mrs thatcher

The only thing that can be said about her from my point of view is that she stuck to her principles, something which is unheard of in today's politics.

On the other hand, she caused a tremendous amount of damage to this country and her legacy will continue for a long time. Don't let a few idiots looking for attention put us off a proper discussion of the harm she did, and how it can be undone.

I think that is what makes me feel torn right now. On the one hand I have it drilled into me that its wrong to think/speak ill of the dead but on the other hand what she did wrong does need to be discussed if we can hope to change things. And if the negative aspects of her actions are glossed over because she is dead then that doesn't help so in a way I appreciate that people are publicly celebrating her death but I also do think its a bit tactless. I guess thats why I haven't written anything on facebook about it but I have been dancing most of the day with Maria.

Oh I think it's more than fair to criticize her politics despite her having passed. I mean, we are constantly criticizing historical figures - why would she be any different?

Yeah exactly, but people are always expected to not criticise when someone has just died but that can be bad https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

I don't respect her choices at as a politician and I agree that she did this country a of damage

But I find people celebrating and posting vile things is out of line. Yes we may not agree with her choices during her time as prime minster but she had a family that loved her and I think they should be allowed to grieve without insensitive people 'celebrating'. x

Yeah exactly, but people are always expected to not criticise when someone has just died but that can be bad https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

Interesting. I'm not really familiar with this phenomenon in the US, perhaps it's cultural?

Interesting. I'm not really familiar with this phenomenon in the US, perhaps it's cultural?

Maybe it is cultural.

I am saddened by her death and feel for her family, I admire her and think she leaves as much of a positive legacy as she does a negative.

I'm not against 'speaking ill of the dead' of course her policies divide people and people who were against them should feel free to argue their point and now is as fitting a time as ever, but to start rejoicing in her death is juvenile and completely useless, celebrate her not being in power any more all those years ago, her being alive didn't cause any one any harm her power back in the role of PM did. So I think we should reflect on her career, the bad AND the good, but let's be mature about it, death doesn't bring anyone any gain, nor does it undo anything.

I think a part of not criticizing somebody who is dead is because in a way it doesn't seem justified to attack somebody unable to speak for themselves any longer - any complaints should have been raised while she was alive iykiwm? Death is always a mourned loss, she might have done things politically that people did not agree with but that shouldn't translate into her death being treated the way it is.

I think that is what makes me feel torn right now. On the one hand I have it drilled into me that its wrong to think/speak ill of the dead but on the other hand what she did wrong does need to be discussed if we can hope to change things. And if the negative aspects of her actions are glossed over because she is dead then that doesn't help so in a way I appreciate that people are publicly celebrating her death but I also do think its a bit tactless. I guess thats why I haven't written anything on facebook about it but I have been dancing most of the day with Maria.
:D

I remember my parents dancing with us round the house when she was kicked out of Downing Street all those years ago.

The worry I have is that she will become even more worshipped by the chinless elite and Murdoch readers now that she's dead than she was in her lifetime.

But so far it seems that she is being rightly criticised and discussed for her legacy, especially with the miserable state the country is in right now, mostly caused by policies she introduced.

:D

I remember my parents dancing with us round the house when she was kicked out of Downing Street all those years ago.

The worry I have is that she will become even more worshipped by the chinless elite and Murdoch readers now that she's dead than she was in her lifetime.

But so far it seems that she is being rightly criticised and discussed for her legacy, especially with the miserable state the country is in right now, mostly caused by policies she introduced.

A song I just listened to seems to be very fitting right now
"Well I was there and I will not forget
The fight for history begins the day that Thatcher is dead
And if you think it's past and put to bed
You wait until the wave of lies the day that Thatcher is dead"

Death does seem to make people idolise people they shouldn't.

That said, I just spoke to my mum who told me that apparently Thatcher was my hero when I was little! :blush: I blame my dad for that, he was a Thatcherite for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->