Thatcher is dead

But why would you be glad she's DEAD? Her death hasn't changed anything! She hasn't been in power for 23 years so why does it matter if she's dead or not? I don't get it!

I agree, and all the politicians since her have done wonders for the country! So many arm chair politicians these days. It scares me the way people have reacted (and the damage these parties have caused to local businesses property) - this is the future of our country! Its frightening how callous and violent they are becoming. Mind you, it doesn't help that some MPs are leading the way in some of the comments. some of the comments have been shocking (George Galloway for one) and says a lot about the type of people we are putting in power now.

the future is getting very scary.

Don't even get me started on George Galloway

Why should I listen to political advice from a man who pretended to be a cat on big brother

Why should I listen to political advice from a man who pretended to be a cat on big brother

haha, when ever he tries to make a point on something people should just hold up a pic of that and say "really?"

ANY MP who does something like that should lose their post, including that Nadine Dorres.

I personally think Boris Johnson should run - would love to see him as PM!

I think some forget the lives she wreaked and poeple who died to . I dont dance on graves or act disrespectfully about her death but I didnt like what she did in her time so I dont celebrate or morn.

I would never "celebrate" anyone's death regardless of if I thought ill of them as politicians, leaders, people whatever - whether it be Gaddafi or Thatcher! That I think is in poor taste...

To me it is odd how how in some ways Thatcher is being glorified after her death... I don't think it's wrong to still maintain that I don't agree with what she did during her reign and that it had a significant long-term detrimental impact.

Probably agree with below article:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette?CMP=twt_gu

I don't think she is really being glorified - obviously she is by our Government as it's a Tory one so that's a given. But I think it's pretty 50/50 in the Media side of things: this post shows a variety of different newspapers and it's only the Mail that really gushes. Most have remained pretty dignified.

https://sandsmediaservices.blogspot...utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

These parties just prove to me what a state this country is in

I mean do most of the young people out parting know who she is or is it an excuse to go out and wreck businesses and be knobheads like the riots in aug 2011

I refused to show her any respect whilst she was living and I refuse to show her any respect in death.

I am in my 40s so I remember a lot about her "reign." How she destroyed industry in this country and showed utter contempt for the North, the Scots and the Welsh. Wonder why we don't make anything anymore? Well, she sowed the seeds for that.

And don't get me started on the right to buy. Grrrr

And before anyone starts I despise Labour just as much. Bliar promised to undo much that she had done and didn't. In my opinion he is worse and I would happily dance on his grave.

Rant over:winkwink:

My dad was telling me that Arthur scargill was a big part of the problem for the miners in Wales

It's funny how nobody is talking about what a state the country was in before she came to power, the unions had us held to ransom

My dad was telling me that Arthur scargill was a big part of the problem for the miners in Wales

It's funny how nobody is talking about what a state the country was in before she came to power, the unions had us held to ransom

That's right. But why then did she proceed to destroy the mining industry, the ship building industries, the steel works and so on?. Whole communities were destroyed and have never recovered.

She sold off all our utilities and encouraged money making greed whilst neglecting moral and social values.

That's what Thatcherism stood for. The 80s were a very selfish era.

I am not condoning what she did but weren't they in decline anyway

So they said. You expect our Government to put Britain first wouldn't you? The agenda was already in place to destroy this country from within as instructed by the EU. People were sceptical at the time. They though the EU was just a trading agreement. They would have been horrified to see the power Brussels has over us now.

:rofl:

That's right. But why then did she proceed to destroy the mining industry, the ship building industries, the steel works and so on?. Whole communities were destroyed and have never recovered.

She sold off all our utilities and encouraged money making greed whilst neglecting moral and social values.

That's what Thatcherism stood for. The 80s were a very selfish era.

The following governments would probably have done these things anyway.

I refused to show her any respect whilst she was living and I refuse to show her any respect in death.

I am in my 40s so I remember a lot about her "reign." How she destroyed industry in this country and showed utter contempt for the North, the Scots and the Welsh. Wonder why we don't make anything anymore? Well, she sowed the seeds for that.

And before anyone starts I despise Labour just as much. Bliar promised to undo much that she had done and didn't. In my opinion he is worse and I would happily dance on his grave.

Agree with you entirely. I don't remember Thatcher being in power but as a daughter of a working class family and a granddaughter of a steel worker I have heard and seen the destruction she caused. The principles at her core I disagree with entirely - anti feminist, homophobic, and an embodiment of the Conservative ideology I stand against.

I would never rejoice in someone's death, it sickens me. I feel for her family, and I empathise with her as a human, but I do not respect her any more or less today than I did before her death.

I just wanted to add she showed complete contempt for Londoners too with her politically-motivated abolition of the Greater London Council and the dismantling of the Inner London Education Authority. Most of London was red during the Thatcher years.

So they said. You expect our Government to put Britain first wouldn't you? The agenda was already in place to destroy this country from within as instructed by the EU. People were sceptical at the time. They though the EU was just a trading agreement. They would have been horrified to see the power Brussels has over us now.
Other EU countries managed to put themselves first within EU trade regulation. Look at Germany. Of course there was industrial decline there too but they fought it and their strong economy and export market are the result of it.

Thatcher was quite happy to smash industry instead of promoting it because, in doing so, she destroyed a major base of Labour voters and made our economy dependent on the financial services sector. She turned working class trade unionists and social democrats into Sun readers who couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves.

I don't think she is really being glorified - obviously she is by our Government as it's a Tory one so that's a given. But I think it's pretty 50/50 in the Media side of things: this post shows a variety of different newspapers and it's only the Mail that really gushes. Most have remained pretty dignified.

https://sandsmediaservices.blogspot...utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

Thanks for that link that was an interesting summary of what the various media outlets are saying, interesting too that it reflects the local/ regional papers :thumbup:

Oh "The Sun" is so classy isn't it: "Maggie dead in bed at the Ritz"..?!?! :wacko:

I mean do most of the young people out parting know who she is or is it an excuse to go out and wreck businesses and be knobheads like the riots in aug 2011

Agreed. I think that many wouldnt be aware of the damage she did but are looking for an excuse. Thye are celebrating the fact a woman who in some peoples words ruined communities and business by..... ruining businesses and communities :dohh:

Someone just told me that Arthur Scargill had a £1.5 million flat. Rent was paid for him by NUM members up until last year, when he lost a lengthy court battle for them to keep paying it. He hated Thatcher and said that the she had left NUM destitute but was happy for those members to pay his rent :nope:

I don't remember her as I was only born in '88 but my parents have always been Conservative supporters and I have been raised the same. Margeret Thatcher saved the country and economy in my opinion from turning into a complete shitty mess.

I agree that she didn't do much for the lower classes but not being brought up in that kind of environment and being brought up in the environment that the Tories have always helped, I have a positive opinion of her and the Conservatives in general.

The issue is, love her or hate her, she was a Prime Minister, who, ultimately was voted in by 'us' and by 'Us' I mean the General Public, who also held office (is that the right phrase), for over 10 years. (If she was so shit and unpopular, why was she voted for, at the time, to stay as PM). What you have to bear in mind is that ANY Prime Minister has a shit job, and will leave a legacy that is not popular (which is why they get voted out!). Its actually nothing to do with her, its to do with Politics.
She was never actually voted in by the majority, but that's just our ridiculous electoral system for you.
what i think is wrong is most people who i have seen make statuses were young children when she was in power.
Why is this wrong? I was born during her reign and six years old when she finally got ousted. That doesn't mean her policies don't affect me. Her right-to-buy policy is the reason me and many other people from London can't afford to buy or rent a house/flat and raise a family in the city we were born in, not to mention the devastation she wreaked on communities like Merthyr Tydfil where drug addiction rocketed from the effects of her policies and is still a huge problem.

I am pleased that young people are aware of the damage she did and continues to do, even if it's just expressed in a status update. The alternative is apathy, which just leads to situations like the country is in now.
What i mean by wrong and i did not express it well as looking after a grumpy toddler is that people i know who are making uneducated statuses. They are asked why they feel as they do and cant answer. I dont think alot of the choices she made were the right ones. My family were actually effected more by the government which proceeded her due to my dad worked for electricity board and had to cope as working class family surviving with shortened work week. The area i grew up already suffered the loss of steam works in which it was built around. I have no doubt that some of what she did had far reaching consequences but if labour had got in or any other party had at time she did would the country have been better off. I dont mourn her death but i certainly wont celebrate it. The people i think are wrong are the ones who are making statuses such as dancing on her grave without having proper respect thst she was a human being and she had hard decisions about future of the country. Throughout history industry has changed the face of our country. Would the coal industry have still been about today. I dont think she was right and fine if you make an educated comment about how you feel but dont just make a glib comment about someones life being ended. I dont agree she should have a state funeral but i just cant understand people needed to celebrate when as others have said surely the fact she hasent been in office along time is enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->