Thatcher is dead

I am 24 years old and I dont remember the effect that she had on our country however, I have respect for the fact that she held her own against men. Whilst she made a lot of mistakes and I know for some people are very bitter, there is only one person I will be pleased when they die and its not her.

I think its disgusting that people would say stuff like that.

The only thing that can be said about her from my point of view is that she stuck to her principles, something which is unheard of in today's politics.

On the other hand, she caused a tremendous amount of damage to this country and her legacy will continue for a long time. Don't let a few idiots looking for attention put us off a proper discussion of the harm she did, and how it can be undone.

I think that is what makes me feel torn right now. On the one hand I have it drilled into me that its wrong to think/speak ill of the dead but on the other hand what she did wrong does need to be discussed if we can hope to change things. And if the negative aspects of her actions are glossed over because she is dead then that doesn't help so in a way I appreciate that people are publicly celebrating her death but I also do think its a bit tactless. I guess thats why I haven't written anything on facebook about it but I have been dancing most of the day with Maria.
:D

I remember my parents dancing with us round the house when she was kicked out of Downing Street all those years ago.

The worry I have is that she will become even more worshipped by the chinless elite and Murdoch readers now that she's dead than she was in her lifetime.

But so far it seems that she is being rightly criticised and discussed for her legacy, especially with the miserable state the country is in right now, mostly caused by policies she introduced.

A song I just listened to seems to be very fitting right now
"Well I was there and I will not forget
The fight for history begins the day that Thatcher is dead
And if you think it's past and put to bed
You wait until the wave of lies the day that Thatcher is dead"

Death does seem to make people idolise people they shouldn't.

That said, I just spoke to my mum who told me that apparently Thatcher was my hero when I was little! :blush: I blame my dad for that, he was a Thatcherite for sure.
That's funny! I was just listening to her little known contribution to the acid scene all those years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1opP7tNLzg

The only thing that can be said about her from my point of view is that she stuck to her principles, something which is unheard of in today's politics.

On the other hand, she caused a tremendous amount of damage to this country and her legacy will continue for a long time. Don't let a few idiots looking for attention put us off a proper discussion of the harm she did, and how it can be undone.

I think that is what makes me feel torn right now. On the one hand I have it drilled into me that its wrong to think/speak ill of the dead but on the other hand what she did wrong does need to be discussed if we can hope to change things. And if the negative aspects of her actions are glossed over because she is dead then that doesn't help so in a way I appreciate that people are publicly celebrating her death but I also do think its a bit tactless. I guess thats why I haven't written anything on facebook about it but I have been dancing most of the day with Maria.
:D

I remember my parents dancing with us round the house when she was kicked out of Downing Street all those years ago.

The worry I have is that she will become even more worshipped by the chinless elite and Murdoch readers now that she's dead than she was in her lifetime.

But so far it seems that she is being rightly criticised and discussed for her legacy, especially with the miserable state the country is in right now, mostly caused by policies she introduced.

A song I just listened to seems to be very fitting right now
"Well I was there and I will not forget
The fight for history begins the day that Thatcher is dead
And if you think it's past and put to bed
You wait until the wave of lies the day that Thatcher is dead"

Death does seem to make people idolise people they shouldn't.

That said, I just spoke to my mum who told me that apparently Thatcher was my hero when I was little! :blush: I blame my dad for that, he was a Thatcherite for sure.
That's funny! I was just listening to her little known contribution to the acid scene all those years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1opP7tNLzg

Weird, the forum redirects when I try and listen to that but saw it on the Thatcher funeral party song list so will listen to it from there

I don't really give a monkeys but I've had to hide so many posts on Facebook today because people have been posting the most vile things!! Unnecessary. If you had a problem with the woman, you weren't spouting about it before she died.

I think a part of not criticizing somebody who is dead is because in a way it doesn't seem justified to attack somebody unable to speak for themselves any longer - any complaints should have been raised while she was alive iykiwm? Death is always a mourned loss, she might have done things politically that people did not agree with but that shouldn't translate into her death being treated the way it is.

I'm very much against celebrating her death, but I have to disagree with not criticizing someone who can't speak for themselves, especially if it's a public figure. By that logic, we'd never, ever be able to discuss any historical figure. You would never suggest not criticizing Adolph Hitler because he can't defend himself, right? Obviously that's a crazy example, but I'm just making a point since I think everyone can agree he's opened himself up to some criticism (to say the least).

The issue is, love her or hate her, she was a Prime Minister, who, ultimately was voted in by 'us' and by 'Us' I mean the General Public, who also held office (is that the right phrase), for over 10 years. (If she was so shit and unpopular, why was she voted for, at the time, to stay as PM). What you have to bear in mind is that ANY Prime Minister has a shit job, and will leave a legacy that is not popular (which is why they get voted out!). Its actually nothing to do with her, its to do with Politics.

The way people are acting you would think hitler had died, it's ridiculous

The way people are acting you would think hitler had died, it's ridiculous

Sorry, this made me chuckle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

It is actually real!

This did make me giggle https://www.newsbiscuit.com/2013/04/08/honest-reporting-dies-aged-87/

I won't mourn her. She was before my time and to me is another historical figure however, it sickens me that people are throwing parties, celebrating her death. It must be incredibly hurtful for those who where closest to her.
Politicians will never please everybody, for every person who disagrees with her decisions another agrees with them.
The following governments have made errors that will have just as long lasting repercussions. Such as Blair with Iraq.
However I respect the fact that she was our first female prime minister, that's a big deal to me and I can't help but wonder if a man had made the decisions she did if he'd of been as hated.

I think its awful people are celebrating and many politicians are using it as a political soap box. I didnt like all her policies but what i think is wrong is most people who i have seen make statuses were young children when she was in power. Im 28 so dont remember much. They are putting what people have told them as views up. She did sort out alot. I know my dad talks alot about the labour goverment in the 70s and the rolling blackouts and 4 day week. The office she inherrited was not perfect. I listened to ken livingstone last night talking about how she never wanted to meet him and also all the countries problems were due to her. He seems to have forgotten tony blairs government spending money which was not there, more benefits, going to war which was essentually illegal ( i say this with alot of respect for our troops but politically there was no leg to stand on) and now camerons government who arnt making the country much better. I feel lucky to live in a democratic country but i do think peple need to realise that there is negative with all prime ministers i sure wouldent want the job

I am not ashamed to say my hubby and I are fairly content she has passed away. We lived her time as PM and her legacy lives on. I studied her NHS and housing reforms at university from both sides of the argument and there is no doubt she made changes which were devastating for working class people like me and hubby's family.
I won't be cracking open the champagne but I certainly don't support the idea of a state funeral etc - if she could afford the ritz hotel since dec 2012 she can afford her own funeral vs taxpayers footing the bill.

I know this may sound harsh but there is little point in pretending not to be glad she is dead. Where I live was deeply scarred by her time in power, the mining, printing, carpet industries were destroyed and we have villages that are still recovering from her legacy.

But why would you be glad she's DEAD? Her death hasn't changed anything! She hasn't been in power for 23 years so why does it matter if she's dead or not? I don't get it!

But why would you be glad she's DEAD? Her death hasn't changed anything! She hasn't been in power for 23 years so why does it matter if she's dead or not? I don't get it!

Exactly. Be glad she's out of power yes! Dead? Why!

The issue is, love her or hate her, she was a Prime Minister, who, ultimately was voted in by 'us' and by 'Us' I mean the General Public, who also held office (is that the right phrase), for over 10 years. (If she was so shit and unpopular, why was she voted for, at the time, to stay as PM). What you have to bear in mind is that ANY Prime Minister has a shit job, and will leave a legacy that is not popular (which is why they get voted out!). Its actually nothing to do with her, its to do with Politics.
She was never actually voted in by the majority, but that's just our ridiculous electoral system for you.
what i think is wrong is most people who i have seen make statuses were young children when she was in power.
Why is this wrong? I was born during her reign and six years old when she finally got ousted. That doesn't mean her policies don't affect me. Her right-to-buy policy is the reason me and many other people from London can't afford to buy or rent a house/flat and raise a family in the city we were born in, not to mention the devastation she wreaked on communities like Merthyr Tydfil where drug addiction rocketed from the effects of her policies and is still a huge problem.

I am pleased that young people are aware of the damage she did and continues to do, even if it's just expressed in a status update. The alternative is apathy, which just leads to situations like the country is in now.

Celebrating her death seems like a cheap shot. Like a pp said she's been out of power for a long time and although I deplore her policies and the effects of her time in office the fact is an old woman has died and leaves behind a family, that is a sad thing.

I agree that what she did while in office should be discussed at length and criticisms made to stop people glossing over them though.

The thing is though if she hadn't got in power would the country have been better off, what was the alternative at the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->