The 12 year old boy imprisoned for 25 years after being tried as an adult

There are programs in the US prison system. A lot of them have been cut back, because of money so to say there are no programs isn't true. Substance-abuse treatment, vocational training and educational programs, all scheduled to be cut back, were designed to give offenders skills to help them hold jobs and make other changes. They are taught to handle anger, build self-esteem and search for the roots of their decisions to commit crimes, the better to avoid repeating them. There are also mental health programs were they do receive medication and seen by a psychiatrist.
In many prison systems, psychologists are the primary mental health care providers, with psychiatrists contracted on a part-time basis. Psychologists provide services ranging from screening new inmates for mental illness to providing group therapy and crisis counseling.
They also provide rehabilitative services that are useful even for prisoners without serious mental illnesses. For example, a psychologist might develop special programs for substance abusers or help prisoners prepare for the transition back to the community.

There are programs in place , but with a lot of cuts to our budget it may be dwindling..

Thanks for the info. I know there are skills training programs, but I guess I don't consider vocational/educational training to be rehabilitation, because (to me), that is like saying every kid in school/college is in rehab.

Good to know there is something out there; like Tiff said you can't change if you don't want to, though. Also, even if these people are rehabbed, once released they are most likely going right back to the same situations they had been in when they committed the crime, so it might be hard to maintain your new self in the face of old friends/neighborhoods/temptations/etc.

There are programs in the US prison system. A lot of them have been cut back, because of money so to say there are no programs isn't true. Substance-abuse treatment, vocational training and educational programs, all scheduled to be cut back, were designed to give offenders skills to help them hold jobs and make other changes. They are taught to handle anger, build self-esteem and search for the roots of their decisions to commit crimes, the better to avoid repeating them. There are also mental health programs were they do receive medication and seen by a psychiatrist.
In many prison systems, psychologists are the primary mental health care providers, with psychiatrists contracted on a part-time basis. Psychologists provide services ranging from screening new inmates for mental illness to providing group therapy and crisis counseling.
They also provide rehabilitative services that are useful even for prisoners without serious mental illnesses. For example, a psychologist might develop special programs for substance abusers or help prisoners prepare for the transition back to the community.

There are programs in place , but with a lot of cuts to our budget it may be dwindling..

Thanks for the info. I know there are skills training programs, but I guess I don't consider vocational/educational training to be rehabilitation, because (to me), that is like saying every kid in school/college is in rehab.

Good to know there is something out there; like Tiff said you can't change if you don't want to, though. Also, even if these people are rehabbed, once released they are most likely going right back to the same situations they had been in when they committed the crime, so it might be hard to maintain your new self in the face of old friends/neighborhoods/temptations/etc.

Well it is kind of teaching them a skill so when they do get out they have something to fall back on. I know the majority are going to re-offend, but only you change your life and your ways and if you don't want a better life for yourself that isn't society's fault. There is also mental help , I mean they can only offer so much, and in my honest opinion a 12 yr. old can definitely be rehabilitated , not with work skills but with education and some counseling. Like I said before I firmly believe this kid is NOT going to serve that amount of time.. :flower: ( Meant in a good way my flower smiley/

I've nothing insightful to add I'm afraid, but just wanted to comment on how chilling I found their mug shots and the idea that these children were tried as adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->