The 12 year old boy imprisoned for 25 years after being tried as an adult

I don't think that the boys will be going to an adult prison tho, normally there are juvenile detention centers that help with rehabilitation.

I don't think that the boys will be going to an adult prison tho, normally there are juvenile detention centers that help with rehabilitation.

I highly doubt he will go to an adult prison, I don't even know if that is legal?
I can't see them putting a little boy with men ..
Most likely juvenile facility until he reaches 18 :nope: so sad

The juvenille detention centers - at least in the US - are still not nice places.

I imagine he will be transferred to an adult detention center when he is 18, so he'll have plenty of time to be shaped by his experience there.

I wouldn't want them abused or have life necessities denied them, but if I'm honest I don't think those places should be nice.

Bothers me that inmates at times (not saying all of course) have a better quality of life than the elderly in nursing homes. But that's another debate for another time.

I would agree these places shouldent be nice. Obviosly their needs should be met but surely rehibiliation needs some sence of punishment as well which i think is needed for victims of crime as well. Surely if these places are to nice that help instututionalise people due to they are more comfortable on inside. I think an element of rehibilitation is making it bad enough that people dont want to go back. Im sure these children were aware that murdering someone could lead to being arested. They knew it was not a norm of society to murder someone.

I mean, I don't think it should be nice in the sense that it's luxurious. But when say a juvenille detention center isn't a nice place, I essentially mean that it's not that different than an adult prison in many ways - gangs, violence, drug use, etc. Not exactly prime conditions for rehabilitating someone. Although of course that applies to the entire US prison system and I don't know what the solution is.

Fair enough, and I don't think the ones here are that different tbh. :shrug:

But surely he cant stay in Juvie until he's 37... would they really be likely to shorten his sentence that drastically?

Which is why kids shouldn't be put in prison, even juvenile centres.

Im genuingly interested in how you would deal with youth crime without juvinile facilities. There is a gang neer where my grandmother lives who have members as young as 11 who have been attacking people and committing various crimes aimed at anyone. They dont think police can touch them due to age despite members been knowen to them. They are a serious risk to the community. I just cant see another way in order to deal with problem so really interested in ehat peoples ideas would be while still teaching them self responsibility for there actions

The way they do here, by using the child welfare services, seems to work fairly well. Of course children are still civilly liable here even though they're not criminally liable so if they commit crimes they can be taken to civil court and be ordered to pay fines to the victim (most youth crime is property crime or alcohol/identity crime).

But surely he cant stay in Juvie until he's 37... would they really be likely to shorten his sentence that drastically?

No once he is 18 he is out of there. I just feel as the years go by another judge will look at his case and reduce his sentence or at 18 release him. I mean I could be wrong, but I just think something along those lines may happen, at least i hope it does.. There are always these high profile lawyers looking for a case like this to take on and most do it for free.. No smiley flower :thumbup:LOL

The way they do here, by using the child welfare services, seems to work fairly well. Of course children are still civilly liable here even though they're not criminally liable so if they commit crimes they can be taken to civil court and be ordered to pay fines to the victim (most youth crime is property crime or alcohol/identity crime).
would you say thats enough to fine someone which would actually be fining parents for serious crimes like rape and murder. Also out of interest do the victims of crime agree with system where you are

We can all discuss this case until blue in the face, but the reality is we are a bunch of armchair quarterbacks, having no idea the specifics of the case. The judge probably had his reasons; all we know is the surfacy stuff released to the media.

Rehabilitation isn't offered to anyone in jail, whether they are 12 or 42. It is sad, but with the amount of money the federal prison system spends each year ($40,000 per inmate per year), I doubt they can scrape together any additional funds for rehabilitation programs.

The latest stats I could find, from 2010, show 211, 108 inmates in the federal prison system. That's $8.5 billion a year, just in incarceration costs.

We can all discuss this case until blue in the face, but the reality is we are a bunch of armchair quarterbacks, having no idea the specifics of the case. The judge probably had his reasons; all we know is the surfacy stuff released to the media.

Of course, but the morality of putting a child on trial as an adult is an issue much bigger than this single case and one which we are all able to discuss.

But we are talking about this single case, no?

I certainly believe a child has a greater chance of successful therapy than an adult does, because their mind is still malleable, but they still need to be held accountable for their actions.

It is the judge's responsibility to uphold the law, regardless of someone's age. Frankly, the outcome of the crime is the same regardless of the age of the offender. If the law says they get locked away, then they do.

Not specifically, I think the issue it represents is as important as the individual case.

Plus this thread has covered many topics so far :flower: (couldn't resist)

But what will happen when he's released if he's not rehabilitated? Would he not possibly be a risk to the public? I don't understand how you can intend to release someone without rehabilitation.

How can you expect rehabilitation if there are no funds for it, though? You can't make money magically appear where there is none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->