"The 3 month mark is the most dangerous"

sandilion

Reaction score
My mother is the best at putting unnecessary anxiety into me, hence why i barely speak to her. But its hard to avoid her when she sends me text messages randomly. The other day she text messaged me saying "I am guessing you're approaching the end of your first tri. Be careful when you're 12 weeks it's the most dangerous time. Don't do anything strenuous because you very well may lose the baby"

This message has confused me ... I have had a child before, and I have always been under the understanding that as you go further in the pregnancy the risks get less, not higher!?

Can someone clarify that for me? Is the 3 month mark really the time to start to worry? I feel silly asking this tbh ... as i feel i know the answer.... but when that woman messages me things like this, sadly the little brainwashed girl in me tends to believe it even though i know i shouldn't!

I don't believe that at all! My doctor told me that once you see a healthy heartbeat your chances of m/c go down to almost 2%. Those are pretty good odds. Many people don't get a scan til 12 weeks, so I guess for those people it could scary as until you have a scan you have no way of knowing if everything grew correctly. However, a missed m/c is even more rare, so your chance of having a healthy pregnancy if you are close to 3 months is pretty darn good! To my knowledge risk decreases as time goes on. :flower:

You're right, the risk goes down. What she might be referring to is the 12 week mark is a time when a lot of women get their first scan. Sadly, a lot of women have had a silent mc (mmc), and didn't know. Other than that, I'm not sure what she means.

Exactly what the previous posters said. 12 weeks is when a lot of women get their first scans so it is when the majority of failed pregnancies are reported...especially in her time (no offense). The only key event between 10-13 weeks is that the placenta takes over in hormone production and there are a small amount of women that have a reproductive issue where the placenta doesn't respond appropriately. This actually happens most often in women with assisted fertility treatments though and not with natural conception usually. Hang in there/don't worry and have a happy and healthy 9 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->