The arrival of Carter Andrew Burton by emergency C-section

BurtonBaby

Reaction score
This is probably gonna be long, so please bear with me..

I was planning a vbac with this little guy, but my body had been working against me. At my 40 week appt I wasn't dilated at all. My doctor said she was either gonna have to do an elective section, or induce me, as they did not anticipate me going into labor anytime soon on my own, and will only let you go a week over. I chose an induction, so she scheduled me to go into the hospital Wednesday night, the 16th. We got to the hospital at 7:30pm, I filled out some check in and consent forms while hubby parked the car, and got shown to my room. I was excited because they gave me one of the really big rooms, that even had a patio. Things were looking good so far lol. They got all of my vitals, started a saline lock, and called my doctor to let her know I was ready. They wont use a gel or tablet for a vbac, so I had a balloon catheter to manually dilate my cervix overnight. It gave me bad period pains, but they gave me a sleeping pill and pain meds and sent me to bed. I woke up a lot during the night because it hurt, and at 6am my nurse came to start my pitocin. She checked and said I was about 2cm and that they would come back in about 30 mins to up the dose of pitocin. They upped it a couple of times and finally it became so painful I got an epidural. This was our first scary thing. During the epi, I suddenly got really dizzy and white, and my bp dropped to 66/32. They laid me down and gave me a shot of adrenaline too boost my bp. Carter was fine during this luckily, and it turned out ok. The epi took effect, and I was much more comfortable and napped on and off for a while. A while later the nurse came to check my progress. The balloon catheter came out and she said I was 4cm and my waters were bulging. Just as she took her hand away, they broke all over. There was some meconium, but she said it wasn't much and was fine since I was overdue and he wasn't showing any signs of distress. I slept on and off for a while again, and woke up with a little discomfort. It was just like at the peak of contractions I could feel the tightening. My mom went to the cafe to get something to eat, luckily DH didn't go, I had tried to talk him into it since I knew he hadn't eaten all day. Suddenly I had the most intense pain I've ever felt. It was from the bottom to the top of my bump. It got even more intense at the contractions peaked, but didn't go away when they did. I tried breathing techniques to get through them.After a minute I couldn't talk thru them, and had trouble breathing at all. The nurses were trying to ask me questions and I couldn't get out more than a word and that was hard. They checked to see if maybe I was fully dilated and ready to push, but I wasn't. Then babies heart rate dropped. Withing seconds they were calling my OB and the anesthesiologist. Immediately they said c-section. My mom walked in to them wheeling me right out, and throwing scrubs at my husband telling him to hurry up. My mom tried to make them wait to figure out what was going on, and they wouldn't even bother talking to her. Next thing I know, they're making sure I'm numb, then cutting me open. DH wasn't in the room, so I just kept saying to get him. A nurse went and got him right before they got baby out. But he didn't cry right away, I was so scared. After a minute we both heard him cry, and they let DH see him. He was perfect. I got sick so DH had to take him away for a few, and then I passed out for a little bit too. My OB said the diagnosis was uterine rupture, and I remember asking her about it. Apparently my old OB only used one layer of stitches for my last c-section, when she said she used two, and where my old incision was, wasn't strong enough. I think they said my uterus tore open about 3 inches. Luckily they handled everything so quickly, we were both ok. When I went to the recovery room DH handed me our son and the nurse said he needed to eat, and was I up to feeding him. I said yea and put him to the breast. He latched right on and did great. He's a natural breastfeeder and we haven't had to supplement at all!
So overall, just about 8 hours after starting the pitocin drip my uterus ruptured. I dont regret trying for a vbac, as I know I tried my best, and this was out of my control. I'm just so thankful that our son was safe, and I was fine. I loved experiencing labor, although the contractions were painful, knowing I was progressing and my water breaking and everything was so exciting! We named our son Carter Andrew, I told DH to chose in the OR, out of the names we both liked. Carter was 8lbs 14oz and 19 1/2 inches. His apgars were an 8 and 9. He is absolutely perfect, and his big sister has taken to him really well now that we're at home. :cloud9:

Here's a couple pics, we've gotta put more from the cameras and phones to our computer still.

https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z78/Dens_Girl/carterinhospital.jpg

https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z78/Dens_Girl/carterincarseat.jpg

https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z78/Dens_Girl/cartercominghome.jpg

He is absolutely adorable!! Congratulations again! And what a birth story... so glad you're both ok :hugs: x

wow!!! congratulations!! he is so cute!!!
so glad everything went well at the end:)

I am so happy you both are ok :) Congrats! He is super cute :hugs: What a crazy time you had :shock:

aww he's so cute! Congrats glad your both ok x

Wow... that is scary how quickly things changed for you but I am so so so happy to hear that you and your little man made it through with flying colors! :)

He is adorable!

Congratulations! I'm glad everything is OK. He is such a cutie!

congratulations, he's gorgeous! So glad you're both ok. I can't imagine how terrifying it must've been :hugs:

Awww congratulations hun...he looks so perfect...xxx

Aww. he's lovely :) He looks so tiny in the car seat!

aww Congratulations..he is pure gorgeous!!
what a birth story eh?! lol..glad you're both okay!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->