The arrival of Cora

HungryHippo

Domestic Engineer
Reaction score
First, let me preface my story by saying that DH and I waited several years before trying for out 1st baby. Although I'm 33, none of my close friends have children and there are no children in my family - I'm the youngest. I went blissfully through the pregnancy not even remotely thinking about the birthing process...even though we took a childbirth class. Well, I was in for a shock!

My water broke @ 3am @ 40+2 (July 26th.) DH and I were at the hospital by 4am. They checked to make sure it was my waters and not urine and admitted me immediately. I was 0 cm dilated. :cry: The hospital started pitocin right away - and I was so out of my element I didn't even question this. I started feeling contractions by about 6am - they were mild and 4 min apart. I was offered a shot of Nubain (sp?) and I accepted - even though the contractions weren't that bad. The shot was offered because they were running late with my epidural. Well, the shot seemed to be a powerful narcotic and when I was administered the epidural an hour later I didn't even feel a thing.

So now I'm loaded and can't feel my legs...and I drift in and out of sleep for 5-7 hours. Mind you, I didn't sleep well the month before my delivery - my body was already exhausted and now I couldn't even feel my achy hips - so my body just slept. I was woken up at 2pm and told I was 10 cm and would need to push soon. I had a really negative nurse who after a few pushes told me I wasn't pushing that great and the baby wasn't moving. Oh, and that she thought the baby was face up. Great. And I'm still EXHAUSTED. I mean, I can't get through the three sessions of 10 seconds of pushing I'm so exhausted. So we push for 30 min and I get an hour break. At this time some nurses rush in and ask me if I knew I was admitted with meconium in my waters...what?! No! The admitting nurse forgot to notify my doctor - so they check my temp and seem to think we're doing okay so they let the pushing continue. The 2nd round of pushing Negative Nelly the Nurse still tells me the baby isn't moving and I start to panic - thinking baby is stuck. My doctor had been telling DH and I to expect a 9-10 lb baby if we went overdue so I think I'd convinced myself there was a small chance baby would get stuck.
My doctor finally arrives around 5:30 and I beg her for a c-section, thinking baby was stuck and I was also too tired to push. Doc checks me and tells me she thinks I can do it and then she pulls stirrups from underneath the bed. Where had those been? The next 20 min of pushing I gave it my all and Cora came screaming into the world.
I had a 2nd degree tear and major hormones swings for the 1st 5 days. But now it all seems like a distant memory. If I had to do it all over again I'd say no to the narcotic, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->