The arrival of Wren Lucille

Emskins

Reaction score
Well, I can't believe my baby is one week old today and I have finally found a few minutes to write my birth story!

Here goes...sorry if it is long!

I woke up Sunday morning 7th March (2 days overdue) dreaming I was in labour to find that I was actually having some strong cramping, I got up to go to the loo and when I wiped I had some show. I already had a midwife appointment that morning for 11.30 so I just got ready and text her to let her know what was happening. When we got to the hospital for the appointment my MW (Lucia) checked my cervix and confirmed I was indeed dilating but had some ways to go but she thought baby would be here in the next 24hrs.

Lucia asked what steps I wanted to take next if any. We discussed the fact that she wasn't around for the next 2 days and that I wanted her to deliver my baby. I asked her to do a sweep for me as they don't normally do this in Switzerland. She gave me a sweep and a bottle of castor oil (which is the usual first method of inducement here) and instructions to call her at 5pm to give her an update.

So off we head home on the tram, once home my contractions were averaging about 7 mins apart for quite some time but they were getting more painful for sure. We called Lucia at 5 and she said take a bath and that she would come over to check me out around 6 and to not drink the castor oil..thank god I was avoiding that like the plague!

When Lucia arrived she examined me, said I was progressing well and did she want me to break my waters? I said yes which now trips me out a bit. She broke my waters on my bed, I thought water would gush out but it didn't, just a flow. Lucia left then and said call her at 9 for an update. Well as soon as she left the contractions started to come thick and hard, I was in agony! I was lying on my bed moaning into my pillow trying to be as quiet as possible for the neighbours! Anyway Lucia came to collect us to take us to the hospital at 10pm, it was FREEZING out and I had a couple of contrations in the street on the way to her car and hospital entrance!brrrrrrr

Once we got to the delivery room she advised me to have a peri-dural as I was not managing the pain that well. This is like an epidural but allows you to still feel your legs but not enough to walk, only manouever in the bed. It was enough for about 2 hrs but then I was back in serious pain with the pressure from the baby. I was really surprised by this type of pain/pressure. Lucia had to leave at about 2am to go home :-( and another midwife took over. I basically just contracted in pain for the next few hours. The new midwife (Connie) told me to start pushing around 3.30-4am which I did, but not much was happening. Connie decided to call my doctor at about 4.00 for assistance to get her out. My doctor arrived really quickly (20 mins) and by this point I was a mess. She asked me how I was doing and I replied I have been better and barfed everywhere! Nice!!

To cut this short, they gave me a 'large' episiotomy and vacuumed the baby out with my help. It was all a bit of a blur and very emotional but then my baby was on my chest screaming blue murder and I was in shock, amazement and every other emotion you can imagine! It was 5.18 Monday 8 March, she weighed 2.86kg/6.3lbs. My doctor then started to tidy me up which was really painful as the local anasethic was working properly so I felt everything she was doing down there. Ouch

Nobody had told us what gender the baby was and I had to ask what is it?!?!?! My doctor looked under the warm towels and said it's a girl! My OH and I cried with happiness, it was the best moment of my life, a complete rush!!

She cried/screamed for a full hour, bless her she was not happy, she scored 9, 10 and 10 on her Apgar which is amazing! We stayed in hospital until Thursday morning as I asked to leave early. They wanted me to stay another day or so as this is normal in Switzerland. They were really perplexed by me wanting to leave early, I tried to get out Wed night but my doctor advised me to at least stay the night which I did.

We are now home (it was a winter wonderland full of snow the day we brought her home, I thought I would be bringing her home in Spring sun and daffodils!) and things are going well, we have had a few rough times but generally she is awesome, BF'ing is going as well as can be expected, painful but getting better, she has already gone back up to her birth weight and put more on, so I must be doing something right!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Emma and Wren small.jpg
    Emma and Wren small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Wren home from hospital small.jpg
    Wren home from hospital small.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
Congratulations! All the best for your little bundle of joy xxx

Ah congrats Emskins, I'm so chuffed for you and as I said in another post, I love the name. So you got there with one in the end!! xx

Wow emskins she's beautiful, congratulations!
xxx

Aww! Emskins she is beautiful. Well done! I hope I will have some time to write my birth story soon. All the best to you and your little family! xx

She's just beautiful :cloud9: Congrats on your little girl, I really did have a feeling you had a :pink: bump! :hugs: x Well done hunni

Congratulations Emskins! She is beautiful! And she has a really gorgeous name, too! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->