The best birthing positions?

BunnyN

Reaction score
A lot is written about what to do during labour and I feel quite confident about that, I get the ideas involved and feel like given the freedom I will instinctively know what to do. But I'm not so sure when it comes to the final part of labour and the actual birth. I know squatting is supposed to be good but I don't know if I could maintain that position for long. So I'm just looking for a bit of input from those of you have done it before about what positions you used, what was most helpful and practical.

Giving birth on your knees is good. I was resting my arms on my bed then on my knees so had gravity's help x

I found the McRoberts maneuver the most effective lol but I'm not sure if it's the best for 'normal' deliveries. I found it relieving.

Usually that part comes naturally just like what feels right during labor. Hands and knees, side-lying, squatting, in the tub...

Usually that part comes naturally just like what feels right during labor. Hands and knees, side-lying, squatting, in the tub...

This is kind of what worries me. My mum said that she ended up on her back for at least the last part of all three of her labours. It's not what she wanted but it's kind of how she ended up and she was beyond being able to do anything about it without help so just stayed there. (Two of the births were in hospital so that made it more complicated but I was born at home so there is no reason why she couldn't have used any position she wanted). I don't want to decide on anything set in stone because I don't think you can know these things until you try them but I'm hoping if I at least have some clear ideas of what I might like and can tell my husband beforehand he will be able to help me if I need it.

squatting is excellent in labour but make sure if not that fit you practice before hand as it wears out your leg muscles really quickly! it's also good because when the baby is coming you can lean forward as squatting/standing births have higher risk for 3rd degree tears due to the force of gravity! hands and knees is pretty good for the actual birth, and easy to change position if you don't like it to kneeling / laying etc. lot's of women who have physiological third stages often go on hands and knees too and once the baby is born go up to kneeling for the placenta

I found the McRoberts maneuver the most effective lol but I'm not sure if it's the best for 'normal' deliveries. I found it relieving.

Did you have shoulder dystocia, or was it just what was comfortable for you?

Did you have shoulder dystocia, or was it just what was comfortable for you?

I had dystocia with both of my boys. My first was an epidural so there was no other way, but the second was completely unmedicated. I found the McRoberts to be fantastic for pushing, it felt far more comfortable than squatting. Rather than having your legs up in the air in stirrups, you can grip your thighs and push like no tomorrow, and I found it very relieving. You aren't so much flat on your back but sitting upright against a pillow too.

I had dystocia with both of my boys. My first was an epidural so there was no other way, but the second was completely unmedicated. I found the McRoberts to be fantastic for pushing, it felt far more comfortable than squatting. Rather than having your legs up in the air in stirrups, you can grip your thighs and push like no tomorrow, and I found it very relieving. You aren't so much flat on your back but sitting upright against a pillow too.

Oh yeh, I remember reading that in your other threads now. I think that is a good example of how you need to be adaptable to what works for you at the time.

I loved birthing squatting (my 1st B2B labor) no tears, slight graze and she was out in 4 pushes. I birthed #2 side lying, I didn't like it as much and broke my tailbone while pushing, but she was out in 3 pushes. I have no idea what this one will bring.

I had a natural birth with my son, no pain relief etc and i pushed him out on all fours. It just felt right at the time, i did turn around and lie on my back but it felt so wrong so i got back on all fours. I only pushed about 3 times so he came out quite quickly and easily. I did have a 2nd degree tear and a labial tear but i think that would of happened in any position as i felt it happen while he was crowning, ouch!

I think when it comes down to it you just get an instinct of what you want to do so i've go with that :)

I was on my back at first cos they had just checked me and were like 'ok, ready to push, lie back' or something like that. And it was so uncomfy lying down, let alone pushing whilst lying down on my back. So I gave birth on my knees, leaning on the back of the bed and I loved it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->