The best laid plans

SarahSausage

Mummy of 3
Reaction score
Well I had planned on a hypno waterbirth in my home from home but last night at 11.30 my waters broke so we went to hospital just to get it confirmed and sent home again but that wasn't to be. My blood pressure was up over 5 or 6 separate periods and I had a + protein in urine so I was gutted to be admitted onto antenatal ward. Once I got there my blood pressure was normal and continued to be so all night and my urine was clear!!!! What was going on? However because my waters broke they won't let me home and want to give me a pessary at 6 tonight and another at midnight if I need it. (My very slight and irregular tightenings stopped overnight. )
Any advice on my options or what I should do? I know if I go into labour myself or with the pessaries I can still have my waterbirth.Any tips? I desperately want a waterbirth!!!

I don't think they can stop you booking yourself out against medical advice and going home if you believe there's nothing wrong now, but obviously you'd have to decide for yourself the balance of risks and what they think might be the problem (not sure what BP up and protein in urine might mean). Are the pessaries for inducing you? You can refuse that too, and just wait and see.

If it were me, I'd ask what it is that your BP and urine test might indicate, and then ask how they would treat that at the hospital, and how urgent any further developments in that area would be (i.e. could a MW at home keep an eye on your BP and urine and bring you in if the problems show up again, or would it be too urgent for that?), and go from there.

It was pre-eclampsia they were concerned about but aren't now at all since bp and urine are normal again and blood tests came back clear. I just want to get my contractions started now!! I know I'll have to stay in due to risk of infection now but just want to get contractions started myself. ???

Sweetheart you don't have to stay in! They can't stop you walking out the door. You will labour better at home, and your risk of infection is lower at home. You certainly don't want to be have unnecessary internals now and increasing the risk of infection, or to be constantly monitored - if you feel well and have good fetal movement, trust your instincts.
After your membranes have ruptured (and yours have gone spontaneously, if prematurely, which is great), Your not far way from labour establishing itself.. most women go into labour naturally:
86% within 24 hours
91% within 48 hours
94% within 96 hours

You should be offered expectant management, this wait and see approach is recommended by NICE guidelines upto 96 hours for the above reasons.

Of course you can still have your water birth - but if you opt for the induction drip it wouldn't be done in the pool.

What were your plans for the birth - did you want to be at home or were you going to a birthing centre or MW lead unit? I'm assuming they have you in the Obstetric unit at the moment (though it isn't appropriate you are there, given that all is well)

Go HOME, wait for establish labour - give yourself and your body sometime and relaxation. It will really help. You don't want to start the slippery slope of interventions when you don't need them (it is not even evidenced you are indicated for any, you are well). You can then go to your birth centre or MW lead unit when labour starts.

Please let us know how you get on - thinking of you!
XXx

Go to the "Can I have a homebirth if...?" section on https://www.homebirth.org.uk/, there's a bit about risk of infection and waters breaking. Tbh, I would've thought there was less risk of infection at home, without people sticking foreign bodies (like their fingers) up you, and where there aren't, you know, sick people and superbugs lol. Could you go home and try all the natural things to get labour going (walks, sex, nipple stimulation, birth ball stuff, etc), and then go back in for induction after the 24 hours is up if you feel it necessary (and if labour hasn't started on its own by then)? It might be that you're unconsciously holding back labour if you don't feel safe in hospital?

Go home, get into your own comfort zone and bounce, walk, nipple stimulation, what ever you want in your own space.

You are far more likely to go into labour if you relax a little.

They'll want to start your labour within 24 hours of your waters going, but all sorts of guidelines state that you should be given up to 72-96 hours to go on your own, where there's no sign of infection - they woould pick this up from your temperature, urine samples and any further discharge you'd had. If pre-eclampsia signs have disappeared (and the signs wouldn't even have been picked up on if you weren't in hospital - ironic) then discharge yourself and wait to labour at home. It is good practice for them to offer you expectant management, so you can come back for monitoring, and remember they can't give you ANY medication, pessaries or procedures without your express consent. If there is any doubt over your consent they shouldn't touch you, so make sure you make your wishes known that you don't want the pessaries. And of course, you can have them arrange for your midwife to come and see you at home to monitor for infection and make sure all is OK.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Go home. And if they are really concerned about you going home use it as leverage to get the birth you want in hospital! Say unless you can have that pool you are going home!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->