The birds and the bees

PnutProtector

Reaction score
I was listening to the radio this morning and this topic came up. They had a mom on the show who talks openly with her 13 year old daughter about sex and it got me thinking about how my mom talked to me and how I felt about talking to her about sex when I was growing up.

I remeber my mom sitting me down when I was about 7 or 8 but I don't remember anything she said. I was never comfortable talking about sex with her because I was afraid she would freak out. I learned all I know from friends, tv/movies, and my own experiences.
My relationship with my mom is much more open now that i am older and I love that I can got to her now with problems and concerns.

When and how did you learn about sex?

My mother has this awesome book 'a live is created' which has great pictures too by the way.

Also the library has a lot of books too. which I read . Can't rememebr any vital 'talk though xD, btu being the youngestI guess I also learnt it form my sibs? I have really no idea I can only remember reading all the books about it as I was a very avid reader as a kid anyway :D

I heard it all from my mum from about 10 years old (age-relative information). She was very open and didn't mind me going to her with any questions. Because she was like this, I very rarely get embarrassed when talking to her about sex and things like that.

Related to that a little joke :p

Schoolgirl 1 :" I know how to get kids"
schoolgirl 2 ' hah thats nothing . I know how not to get them'

My mum made my dad tell us what it was when we asked, and it's THE MOST awkward topic in our household lol. I wish I could talk to her about it properly now I'm older, and talk about the funny stuff that inevitably happens when you do have sex XD
I intend to just make a joke about it, you don't want them to take it too seriously and they'll be more likely to talk to you about it if it's a relaxing topic of conversation.
Really interesting thread actually! :) xx

I think I heard it in the playground at school and went home and asked my mum and she told me everything. We're all really close and I can talk to her about anything like that, infact I can talk to my gran and auntie aswell :) I hope I manage to do this with my daughter when she's older.

My mum told me the theory aged 7ish because I was moving schools and didn't want me finding out stuff there... it was very basic, sperm and egg etc, she has never ever spoken to me about sex. I wish she would becuase I'd like to have an open relationship with her but neither of us have ever brought it up. So actual sex stuff I learnt in sex education at school (which I remember) and from very grown up friends (who had sex aged 13)

Interesting thread! I honestly don't know when I didn't know what sex was. As the youngest of 4 and my oldest brother being 8 years older than me I guess I just absorbed the info by osmosis. I never held any weird ideas about what it was. I think it's important kids understand early and as a biologist I reckon I've got what it takes to explain it to Byron without it being too uncomfortable. I've talked about eggs and sperm from other animals with A LOT of kids!

I got the sciancy bit when i was 8 or 9. Sperm meets egg ect I can go to my mam and ask her anything.

I cant remember how i learnt about sex. I am very close to my mom so i guess she would have just told me although i have an older sister and she has bought up a book that mom and dad gave her about the birds and the bees, perhaps she told me all after she read it :rofl: Its interesting though - kids know from a very younge age about babies being in 'mommys tummy'.

It all started in yr 6 for me (I would have been 10) we had a very good and thorough sex education, including books, videos and anything else (They passed around sanitary towels etc etc). When I went to secondary school we had sex education every other year with many talks on the risks, diseases/STI's etc etc.

I didn't speak openly to my mum about much of anything, sometimes if I was really concerned I would brave it but our relationship when I was a teenager was tenious at best. Now I am older I ask her/tell her everything since I am more mature and she is much calmer and a different person since being split from my dad so we are very open with one another (ok so perhaps I am a little too open!) Me and my nan have had conversations about it as well (I lived with her for 6 months when I was in my teens), which was a little odd at first but well.. we are all human! :happydance:

I remember going to my mom and asking her what a BJ is....lol. I was in grade 7 and the grade 8 girls were asking us if we knew. So we pretended we did, then I had to ask my mom when I got home from school. All three of us kids have always been extremely open with our mom. I can ask her anything and not feel uncomfortable. And I knew anything I told her was between us only.

My mum bought me a book when I was about ... 5 or 6, I think. It covered the basics of the sperm and egg, and the cells dividing, and it had flaps and pop up bits, and included the memorable line "When a man and a woman love each other very much, they go to bed and have a special hug".
Untill I was about 12 I was incredibly open with my mum, I could ask her anything. Then for some reason I never figured out, to do with being a teenager, that stopped. But I preferred books for my education.

tbh, I have no idea.

People on this thread say they have very open relationship with their mom-I can't imagine having a good one with my mom.

Things are very open between us. But she always treats me like her best friend (y'know go into juicy details) and I really, REALLY don't wanna know, my moms a bit of a freak. So I can tell her things I just have to be prepared for her to share. A lot.

But I don't ever remember not knowing. I definitely knew more than anyone else my age, even about af and things.

my mum told me everything when i was like 12 i think. i didnt even know women had a hole down there. and she told me i even asked her what a bj was! i wish she didnt tell me though! i still feel akward about it now!

Hahaha! :rofl: I just asked DH if he remembers how he found out about the birds and the bees. Here was his reply:

Me: do you remember...
Him:Yup (with a smirk on his face)
Me: What, at school, your mum and dad?
Him: Nope. magazines!
Me: What? How old?
Him: 10, a friends mag.
Me: What?! :shock: Who and why did a 10 yr old have a magazine?
Him: His mum and dad gave it to him. He was a year younger.
Me: WHAT?! lol! Did you really learn a lot about the birds and the bees though, from a magazine??
Him:Yup! Learnt pretty quickly actually! :smug:
Me: Oh My God! (Thinking I will be taking charge of any sex ed in our family!)

Oh, I was about 6 or 7 when my Mum gave me the first talk. With a 10 yr old brother I think she thought I was going to find out anyways and so best get facts that hearsay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->